How to Implement stack using a priority queue(using min heap)?.
Asked In: Microsoft, Adobe.
In priority queue, we assign priority to the elements that are being pushed. A stack requires elements to be processed in Last in First Out manner. The idea is to associate a count that determines when it was pushed. This count works as a key for the priority queue.
So the implementation of stack uses a priority queue of pairs, with the first element serving as the key.
See Below Image to understand Better
Below is C++ implementation of the idea.
3 2 1
Now, as we can see this implementation takes O(log n) time for both push and pop operations. This can be slightly optimized by using fibonacci heap implementation of priority queue which would give us O(1) time complexity for push operation, but pop still requires O(log n) time.
This article is contributed by Mr. Somesh Awasthi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Why is Binary Heap Preferred over BST for Priority Queue?
- Implement Stack and Queue using Deque
- Implement a stack using single queue
- Priority Queue in Python
- Priority Queue | Set 1 (Introduction)
- Applications of Priority Queue
- Priority Queue using Linked List
- Double ended priority queue
- Priority queue of pairs in C++ (Ordered by first)
- Priority Queue using doubly linked list
- Priority Queue in C++ Standard Template Library (STL)
- Stack and Queue in Python using queue Module
- Check if a queue can be sorted into another queue using a stack
- Heap queue (or heapq) in Python