Python scripting is one of the most intriguing and fascinating thing to do meanwhile learning Python. Automation and controlling browser is one of them.
In this particular article, we will see how to log into facebook account using Python and power of selenium.
Selenium automates and controls browsers and it’s activity. We can code in our way to control browser tasks with the help of selenium. Primarily, it is for automating web applications for testing purposes, but is certainly not limited to just that. Boring web-based administration tasks can be automated as well. As you learn more it’s so much fun to see things happening automatically and saving time in doing useless tasks again and again.
We use selenium here to open the site of our requirement (in this case Facebook) and there we inspect element across email box, password box and login button to find id of them.
- Using find_element_by_id() function provided by selenium module, we can find the required element (username box, password box, login button)
- Using send_keys() function, provided by selenium module, we will send the data into the box.
- Installing third party modules required
Selenium getpass Additional Requirement : geckodriver for firefox and chromedriver for chrome
- Importing necessary modules
- Selenium : to automate browser
- Time : to pause running of script for some seconds as browsers try to detect automation stuff if we input too fast
- Taking username and password as input from user
Using input() function and passing prompt message as argument.
- Opening browser and required website
webdriver.Chrome() will open new window of chrome. We will save it’s object in variable named driver.
Now using get function we will open up Facebook website.
Finding element for sending data and Sending input
Use inspect element tool on the element of browser of which you want to find id. In this case we will inspect username box, password box, login button to find their id. And then use this id combining with selenium function find_element_by_id() to find it across web page and save it in variables for later use. Then by using send_keys() we will send data across the elements found previously.
- Closing the browser
After all of the above steps we have to quit the session and will be achieved by using driver.quit().
Note: Here driver is the name of variable you chose for webdriver.Chrome().
See how such a concise piece of code can automate things for you.
We can also enter the password without displaying it on screen, for security purpose. For that we have to include one more module called getpass. Now with just one change in input statement of password we can input password without displaying it on screen.
Getpass prompts the user for a password without echoing. Basically it let’s you enter the password without showing it on the screen.
Similarly you can also automate many other things like twitter login, tweeting, facebook logout and much more.
In case of any queries, post them below in comments section. If you liked this article and want to see any more of the similar stuff, let me know in the comments section below.
This article is contributed by Umang Ahuja. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- How to access popup login window in selenium using Python
- Django Sign Up and login with confirmation Email | Python
- Python | Automating Happy Birthday post on Facebook using Selenium
- Facebook API | Set-2
- Facebook API | Set-3
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python