The divmod() method in python takes two numbers and returns a pair of numbers consisting of their quotient and remainder.
divmod(x, y) x and y : x is numerator and y is denominator x and y must be non complex
Input : x = 9, y = 3 Output :(3, 0) Input : x = 8, y = 3 Output :(2, 2)
Explanation : The divmod() method takes two parameters x and y, where x is treated as numerator and y is treated as denominator. The method calculates both x / y and x % y and returns both the values.
- If x and y are integers, the return value is
(x / y, x % y)
- If x or y is a float, the result is
(q, x % y), where q is the whole part of the quotient.
(5, 4) = (1, 1) (10, 16) = (0, 10) (11, 11) = (1, 0) (15, 13) = (1, 2) (6.0, 5) = (2.0, 2.0) (3, 9.0) = (0.0, 3.0) (13.5, 6.2) = (3.0, 0.0) (1.6, 10.7) = (5.0, 0.10000000000000009)
Errors And Exceptions
- If either of the arguments, say x and y, is a float, the result is (q, x%y). Here, q is the whole part of the quotient.
- If the second argument is 0, it returns Zero Division Error
- If the first argument is 0, it returns (0, 0)
Practical Application : Check if a number is prime or not using divmod() function.
Input : n = 7 Output :Prime Input : n = 15 Output :Not Prime
- Initialise a new variable, say x with the given integer and a variable counter to 0
- Run a loop till the given integer becomes 0 and keep decrementing it.
- Save the value returned by divmod(n, x) in two variables, say p and q
- Check if q is 0, this will imply that n is perfectly divisible by x, and hence increment the counter value
- Check if the counter value is greater than 2, if yes, the number is not prime, else it is prime
Co-Author : Chinmoy Lenka
- Python | sympy.divmod() method
- isprintable() in Python and its application
- Birthday Reminder Application in Python
- Python String isalpha() and its application
- Python String isdigit() and its application
- Python String isnumeric() and its application
- Python String isspace() and its application
- Python | Create simple animation for console-based application
- Python3 for GUI application | An Overview
- Flask - (Creating first simple application)
- Computer Vision module application for finding a target in a live camera
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Convert list to Python array
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.