A lot of times when dealing with iterators, we also get a need to keep a count of iterations. Python eases the programmers’ task by providing a built-in function enumerate() for this task.
Enumerate() method adds a counter to an iterable and returns it in a form of enumerate object. This enumerate object can then be used directly in for loops or be converted into a list of tuples using list() method.
enumerate(iterable, start=0) Parameters: Iterable: any object that supports iteration Start: the index value from which the counter is to be started, by default it is 0
Return type: < type 'enumerate' > [(0, 'eat'), (1, 'sleep'), (2, 'repeat')] [(2, 'g'), (3, 'e'), (4, 'e'), (5, 'k')]
Using Enumerate object in loops
(0, 'eat') (1, 'sleep') (2, 'repeat') 100 eat 101 sleep 102 repeat
This article is contributed by Harshit Agrawal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Python VLC Instance - Enumerate the defined audio output devices
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
- Python | PRAW - Python Reddit API Wrapper
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- Reusable piece of python functionality for wrapping arbitrary blocks of code : Python Context Managers
- Python program to check if the list contains three consecutive common numbers in Python
- Creating and updating PowerPoint Presentations in Python using python - pptx
- How to write an empty function in Python - pass statement?
Improved By : Rounak_agarwal