1. iOS :
iOS is a mobile operating system which is provided by Apple Incorporation. It is mainly designed for Apple mobile devices like iPhone and iPod Touch. It was earlier known as iPhone OS. It is a Unix-like operating systems which is based on Darwin(BSD) operating system. It is the world’s second most used mobile operating system after Android. It is mainly written in C, C++, Objective-C, assembly language and Swift. The first version of iOS was launched in 2007.
2. OpenVMS :
OpenVMS is a multi-user and multi-processing operating system which was developed by Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC). It is a virtual memory based operating system which is designed for use in time-sharing, batch processing and transaction processing. It is available for many platforms including servers and workstations. It is written using BLISS, VAX Macro, C, Ada, PL/I, Fortran, UIL, Pascal, SDL, C++ and DCL. The first version of OpenVMS was launched in 1977. The kernel used in this operating system is monolithic with modules.
Difference between iOS and OpenVMS :
|1.||It was developed by Apple Incorporation.||It was developed by Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC).|
|2.||It was launched in 2007.||It was launched in 1977.|
|3.||Its target system types are smartphone, music player and tablet computer.||Its target system types are server and workstation.|
|4.||Computer architectures supported by iOS are ARMv8-A (iOS 7-present), ARMv7-A (iPhone OS 3-iOS 10) and ARMv6 (iPhone OS 1-iOS 4.2.1).||Computer architectures supported by OpenVMS are VAX, Alpha and IA-64.|
|5.||Its kernel type is Hybrid.||Its kernel type is Monolithic with modules.|
|6.||Its native APIs are Cocoa and BSD-POSIX.||Its native APIs are Proprietary.|
|7.||It has the preferred license is Proprietary, APSL and GNU GPL.||It has the preferred license of Proprietary.|
|8.||Its does not have package management.||Its package management is PCSI or VMSINSTAL.|
|9.||The non-native APIs are not supported through its subsystems.||The non-native APIs supported through its subsystems are POSIX.|
|10.||File systems supported by iOS are HFS+ and APFS.||File systems supported by OpenVMS are Files-11, ISO 9660, NFS and CIFS.|
|11.||It has default GUI ‘on’.||It does not have default GUI ‘on’.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between AIX and OpenVMS
- Difference between Windows and OpenVMS
- Difference between Linux and OpenVMS
- Difference between OpenVMS and FreeBSD
- Difference between Windows and iOS
- Difference between Linux and iOS
- Difference between iOS and DragonFlyBSD
- Difference between iOS and FreeBSD
- Difference between iOS and MINIX 3
- Difference between iOS and Chrome OS
- Difference between iOS and NetBSD
- Difference between iOS and GhostBSD
- Difference between iOS and OpenBSD
- Difference between iOS and AmigaOS 4
- Difference between iOS and Android
- Difference between AIX and iOS
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.