Defect triage is a simple process that helps the development team to resolve and fix defects simply based on their severity and priority. It is a process to prioritize defects on basis of their severity, risk caused, and frequency of occurrence.
- New :
Whenever a defect is identified for first time, this new defect is then added to defect tracking system.
- Under Investigation :
The team lead then determine or evaluate a defect report whether it is correct or not. Following guidelines are taken into consideration while evaluating a defect report :
- Defect report format is correct or not?
- Does this particular defect is reported before or not?
- Who has identified the defect?
- What is the cause of defect or how severe the issue is?
(i). Critical :-
Critical issue means that due to defect, the main functionality of system has stopped working.
(ii). In Between –
Defect that comes under this category can be discussed in defect triage meeting.
(iii). Low :
Defect that comes under this category are less severe and are only visible to internal users.
- Rejected :
If the defect report is duplicate, or triage team is not being able to replicate the issue, or proper defect report format is not maintained, then particular defect triage report is rejected.
- Confirmed :
If all the things are correct then defect report is confirmed and further waits for resolving the issue or defect.
- Dev in Progress :
In this, the defect is in sprint i.e. defect is under process especially for resolving and fixing defect. In simple words, defect is under resolution.
- Released :
Finally, defect is completely resolved and fixed.
Rules of Defect Triaging :
There are several rules of defect triaging as given below :
- Defects that are being reported needs to be reviewed.
- Defects that are being accepted needs to be prioritized and should also have severity attached.
- Defects that are being rejected should have plausible i.e. reasonable or believable descriptions for the testing team.
- Each and every defect needs to be assigned and given to appropriate team or individual.
- Analysis should be done regarding the main or root cause of every defect that is being accepted.
Some Challenges that occur during Defect Triaging :
- Sometimes, standard defect tracking system is not available.
- Priorities and severities are not assigned properly to particular defects.
- No proper communication among testing team, development team, business stakeholders, and product owner.
- No proper communication during defect triage meetings.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Roles and Responsibilities of Participants of Defect Triage Process
- Steps in Defect Triage Process
- Activities Performed during Defect Triage Process
- Defect Triage Meeting
- Defect Triage Report Format
- Different Defect States available in Defect Life Cycle
- Process Improvement in Defect Management Process (DMP)
- Defect Resolution Process
- Stages of Defect Management Process
- Defect Analysis Process
- Defect Management Process
- Defect Priority
- Software Engineering | Differences between defect, bug and failure
- Categories of Software Defect
- Defect Severity
- Defect prevention Role and Responsibility of Team
- Different participants of Defect Life Cycle
- Different States of Defect and Workflow
- Guidelines to establish Defect Life Cycle
- Different steps involved in Defect Prevention
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.