Given a number N, the task is to evaluate below expression. Expected time complexity is O(1).
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n)*f(n)
Where f(n) is the n-th Fibonacci number with n >= 1. First few Fibonacci numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ………..i.e. (considering 0 as 0th Fibonacci number)
Input : n = 5 Output : -1 f(5-1=4) = 3 f(5+1=6) = 8 f(5)*f(5)= 5*5 = 25 f(4)*f(6)- f(5)*f(5)= 24-25= -1
Although the task is simple i.e. find n-1th, nth and (n+1)-th Fibonacci numbers. Evaluate the expression and display the result. But this can be done in O(1) time using Cassini’s Identity which states that:
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n*n) = (-1)^n
So, we don’t need to calculate any Fibonacci term,the only thing is to check whether n is even or odd.
This article is contributed by Sahil Chhabra. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Significance of Pascal’s Identity
- Program for Identity Matrix
- Euler's Four Square Identity
- Brahmagupta Fibonacci Identity
- Proizvolov's Identity
- Factorial of Large numbers using Logarithmic identity
- Count pairs having bitwise XOR greater than K from a given array
- Count array elements with rank not exceeding K
- Queries to count frequencies of a given character in a given range of indices
- Check if a point having maximum X and Y coordinates exists or not
- Maximum sum of elements in a diagonal parallel to the main diagonal of a given Matrix
- Minimize cost of choosing and skipping array elements to reach end of the given array
- Count positions in a chessboard that can be visited by the Queen which are not visited by the King
- Print first K distinct Moran numbers from a given array