Given a number N, the task is to evaluate below expression. Expected time complexity is O(1).
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n)*f(n)
Where f(n) is the n-th Fibonacci number with n >= 1. First few Fibonacci numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ………..i.e. (considering 0 as 0th Fibonacci number)
Input : n = 5 Output : -1 f(5-1=4) = 3 f(5+1=6) = 8 f(5)*f(5)= 5*5 = 25 f(4)*f(6)- f(5)*f(5)= 24-25= -1
Although the task is simple i.e. find n-1th, nth and (n+1)-th Fibonacci numbers. Evaluate the expression and display the result. But this can be done in O(1) time using Cassini’s Identity which states that:
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n*n) = (-1)^n
So, we don’t need to calculate any Fibonacci term,the only thing is to check whether n is even or odd.
This article is contributed by Sahil Chhabra. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Brahmagupta Fibonacci Identity
- Euler's Four Square Identity
- Program for Identity Matrix
- Significance of Pascal’s Identity
- Find the minimum number of rectangles left after inserting one into another
- Largest number not greater than N which can become prime after rearranging its digits
- Product of all Subsequences of size K except the minimum and maximum Elements
- Count arrays of length K whose product of elements is same as that of given array
- Count different numbers possible using all the digits their frequency times
- Equation of straight line passing through a given point which bisects it into two equal line segments
- Find out the minimum number of coins required to pay total amount
- Find the original matrix when largest element in a row and a column are given
- Sum of elements in 1st array such that number of elements less than or equal to them in 2nd array is maximum
- Calculate the loss incurred in selling the given items at discounted price