Given a number N, the task is to evaluate below expression. Expected time complexity is O(1).
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n)*f(n)
Where f(n) is the n-th Fibonacci number with n >= 1. First few Fibonacci numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ………..i.e. (considering 0 as 0th Fibonacci number)
Input : n = 5 Output : -1 f(5-1=4) = 3 f(5+1=6) = 8 f(5)*f(5)= 5*5 = 25 f(4)*f(6)- f(5)*f(5)= 24-25= -1
Although the task is simple i.e. find n-1th, nth and (n+1)-th Fibonacci numbers. Evaluate the expression and display the result. But this can be done in O(1) time using Cassini’s Identity which states that:
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n*n) = (-1)^n
So, we don’t need to calculate any Fibonacci term,the only thing is to check whether n is even or odd.
This article is contributed by Sahil Chhabra. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Proizvolov's Identity
- Brahmagupta Fibonacci Identity
- Significance of Pascal’s Identity
- Program for Identity Matrix
- Euler's Four Square Identity
- Check if the sum of digits of number is divisible by all of its digits
- Program for Mobius Function | Set 2
- Make the list non-decreasing by changing only one digit of the elements
- Maximum items that can be bought with the given type of coins
- Count occurrences of a prime number in the prime factorization of every element from the given range
- Check if the number is valid when flipped upside down
- Find the count of subsequences where each element is divisible by K
- Count of numbers below N whose sum of prime divisors is K
- Queries for the smallest and the largest prime number of given digit