Given a number N, the task is to evaluate below expression. Expected time complexity is O(1).
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n)*f(n)
Where f(n) is the n-th Fibonacci number with n >= 1. First few Fibonacci numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ………..i.e. (considering 0 as 0th Fibonacci number)
Input : n = 5 Output : -1 f(5-1=4) = 3 f(5+1=6) = 8 f(5)*f(5)= 5*5 = 25 f(4)*f(6)- f(5)*f(5)= 24-25= -1
Although the task is simple i.e. find n-1th, nth and (n+1)-th Fibonacci numbers. Evaluate the expression and display the result. But this can be done in O(1) time using Cassini’s Identity which states that:
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n*n) = (-1)^n
So, we don’t need to calculate any Fibonacci term,the only thing is to check whether n is even or odd.
This article is contributed by Sahil Chhabra. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- SQL Server Identity
- Euler's Four Square Identity
- Brahmagupta Fibonacci Identity
- Significance of Pascal’s Identity
- numpy.identity() in Python
- Program for Identity Matrix
- Python Membership and Identity Operators | in, not in, is, is not
- IntStream reduce(int identity, IntBinaryOperator op) in Java with Examples
- LongStream reduce(long identity, LongBinaryOperator op) in Java with Examples
- DoubleStream reduce(double identity, DoubleBinaryOperator op) in Java with Examples
- How do the PHP equality (== double equals) and identity (=== triple equals) comparison operators differ?
- Identity as a Service (IDaaS) as a cloud Based service
- Minimum time to return array to its original state after given modifications
- Shortest distance to every other character from given character