Given a number N, the task is to evaluate below expression. Expected time complexity is O(1).
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n)*f(n)
Where f(n) is the n-th Fibonacci number with n >= 1. First few Fibonacci numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ………..i.e. (considering 0 as 0th Fibonacci number)
Input : n = 5 Output : -1 f(5-1=4) = 3 f(5+1=6) = 8 f(5)*f(5)= 5*5 = 25 f(4)*f(6)- f(5)*f(5)= 24-25= -1
Although the task is simple i.e. find n-1th, nth and (n+1)-th Fibonacci numbers. Evaluate the expression and display the result. But this can be done in O(1) time using Cassini’s Identity which states that:
f(n-1)*f(n+1) - f(n*n) = (-1)^n
So, we don’t need to calculate any Fibonacci term,the only thing is to check whether n is even or odd.
This article is contributed by Sahil Chhabra. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Program for Fibonacci numbers
- Fibonacci number in an array
- Program for nth Catalan Number
- Zeckendorf’s Theorem (Non-Neighbouring Fibonacci Representation)
- GCD and Fibonacci Numbers
- Number of Permutations such that no Three Terms forms Increasing Subsequence
- Check if the first and last digit of the smallest number forms a prime
- Print all substring of a number without any conversion
- Complement of a number with any base b
- Check if Decimal representation of an Octal number is divisible by 7