XMF stands for Extensible Music Format. It is a file format that consists of single or multiple files like Standard MIDI Files, WAV files, Downloadable Sound (DLS) instrument files or digital audio files, etc. It generates a compilation of all the resources used to represent a piece of music. It is a tree-structured container format. It is a popular choice for mobile phone content via Mobile XMF file type. The specifications for the XMF were first published by the MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) in 2001.
- XMF files are made up of a header chunk and a collection of node chunks ordered in preorder.
- Resources can be shown in various languages depending on the country of preference.
- There are currently five XMF Files namely XMF Type 0, XMF Type 1, XMF Type 2, XMF Type 3 and XMF Type 4.
- The XMF File Type 4 is also known as Interactive XMF (iXMF) is the latest one.
- ZLIB is used for compressing the resources in the XMF files.
- It is an extensible format that aims in minimizing overhead, code size, and data size.
- XMF files can be referenced internally as well as externally using a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI).
- It can support an infinite number of quantities as the size information for the XMF files is stored as variable-length quantities (VLQ). This also saves storage space.
- It has no maximum file size.
- Resources in an XMF format can be arranged as per the user’s choice of hierarchy like files and folders in a file system.
- Custom resource types and metadata can be added easily to the XMF file.
- Data-compression or encryption techniques can be decided by the users.
- It is not an optimal method to store musical data.
- It involves nesting of media contents inside exclusive folder nodes that can easily be put directly under the root node.
- Some mobile players can get choked due to the excessive amounts of nodes present in the format.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.