Businesses generate data in millions and billions and thus, it becomes necessary to store and process it timely. To handle this process, ETL developers play a significant role. If you’re someone who’s new to this term – ETL Developers, worry not. In this article, we’ll be discussing ETL developers, his/her roles and responsibilities, the skills required to become one, the career scope, and the qualifications needed.
The average salary of ETL developers is 5.5 LPA and also it is directly proportional to experience. It is true that ETL developers will be in huge demand in the coming future as data is being generated daily. Let’s move forward to understand them.
Who’s an ETL Developer?
ETL means Extract, Transform, and Load. The method of transferring data from different sources to its warehouse is ETL development. Hence, an ETL developer is one whose responsibility is to manage data. The method followed in ETL development is initially they EXTRACT data from sources, then TRANSFORM it and LOAD it into the data warehouse. All kinds of business-related data are designed, developed, and maintained by the ETL developer. ETL is divided into three stages:
- Extract – In this process, all kinds of useful data generated from different sources (text files, raw data, online sources, etc.) are extracted. The extracted data is stored in consolidated form. Different kinds of tools can consolidate the data in sources such as the cloud, or external systems.
- Transform – In this process, the extracted data (raw data) is transformed (structured and formatted). Before processing the data for use, it has to be transformed so as to be compatible with the standards. This process involves cleansing standardization, deduplication, verification, and sorting.
- Load – The final stage in ETL is load. In this process, the transformed data is loaded into the data warehouse system. A warehouse may include several tools to represent data from multiple dimensions and then make it accessible to each user. To allow users to drag and manipulate data, data representation tools are connected to the warehouse.
Skills Required for an ETL Developer
SQL or Structured Query Language is the basic fundamental concept you need to know as an ETL developer. You have to use it at every step of ETL. SQL is one of the most popular database management systems making it a perfect fit for ETL development. Having a good command over SQL concepts such as tables, keys, DDL, DML, TCL commands, etc.
2. Scripting Language
ETL developers cannot rely on tools completely, therefore, ETL developers need to know the scripting language well so as to deal with the data. Having knowledge of scripting language helps developers in dealing with files and directories. Hence, one of the most important skills of an ETL developer is having hands-on practice with a scripting language.
Some of the popular scripting languages are:
3. Data Warehousing
A warehouse includes tools used to represent data and perform loading after transformation. Several data representation tools are connected to the data warehouse. Data warehousing lets you integrate data from various sources into one consolidated database. It is a kind of central repository of information to analyze and make meaningful.
ETL developers need tools to automate the process easily. Instead of spending hours on coding, it’s better to use tools and come up with output easily. Using these tools, it becomes easy for developers to drag and drop several functions, and hence, it becomes easy for developers to understand the flow. Some of the tools used by ETL developers are Microsoft SSIS, Oracle Data Integrator, SAP Data Services, Informatica, and Pentaho. Also, the proper use of the Power BI tool adds value to your skill.
*Here are the Top 7 Python ETL Tools To Learn
5. Debugging/Problem Solving
It’s obvious to commit mistakes while developing something. The major problem occurs when the client wants the problem to be resolved in a given timeframe. Hence, during this process, it becomes necessary to have good problem-solving ability. The most required skill any ETL developer should have is problem-solving i.e. he/she must be able to solve problems in a given time period.
Several other skills ETL Developers must have are:
- ETL Development and Testing
- Data Integration
- Data load Production
Roles and Responsibilities of an ETL Developer
- Works on different database management systems efficiently
- Has a good command over data warehousing concepts to load the data effectively
- Design, develop, and automate the data
- Develops data flow models for ETL applications
- Testing the storage system after transferring the data
- Prepare documentation for the further reference
- Ensure that the data is scalable and architecture
- Work with clients to deliver scalable and maintainable data
- Gather essentials and process them for business needs
- Exposures to Business Intelligence platforms like Power BI or Tableau
- Collaborate with other IT teams to modify, and enhance existing BI assets.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues like database performance, database capacity, replication, and other data-related issues
How to Become an ETL Developer?
To become an ETL developer, one needs to have the required skills such as good command over scripting language, database management systems, and ETL tools or software. When you have the required skills, you’re good to go. Having a B.Tech degree adds value to your resume and helps you to crack tech interviews easily. While cracking tech interviews, you must be well-versed with the ETL tools and also try hands-on practicing with the tools.
- Earn a bachelor’s degree
- Gain skills required
- Try earning a certificate (IBM Certified Solution Developer, Teradata 14 Certified Master, InfoSphere DataStage v8.0, etc.)
- Hands-on working with the tools
- Gain experience
Scope and Career Growth
ETL Developers are well-paid and also are the most-demanding professional in the IT industry. The scope of ETL Developers is very bright and will be in the near future and the tools they use are in huge demand. An expert in these skills will have plenty of job roles. Some of the job roles offered for an ETL developer are:
- Data Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Data Scientist
- Data Analytics Intern
- Data Analyst
- Senior Software Engineer
- Technical Lead
- Business Analyst
Manage data generated on a daily basis, an ETL developer plays an important role to handle it. Thus, ETL developers are in huge demand and also high-paying. To become one, you need to know the skills and also the roles and responsibilities one should have. We have discussed all the most important factors required to become an ETL developer.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Please Login to comment...