For a better understanding of the project, its requirements, and schedule we can use the methodology called Design Thinking. It helps in the discovery phase of the product. That means How and What will make a great product. This creative approach is very important in creating things with systematic design.
Design Thinking is a methodology basically used for Problem Solving. It concentrates on the human point of view and the customer’s usage area. The Design Thinking approach specially used in business, marketing, and design fields. The main motive of the methodology is to take the User into consideration initially and then take the remaining considerations. This is done only by finding needs, creating a solution for a product that is really helpful.
Design Thinking Concept is Divided into 6 Phases as Shown:
1. Empathize: This phase is basically the Information Gathering phase. Business-related information gathered by searching and understanding the customer’s views. It is done by interviews, group discussions, and most of the observations. Along with this the questions related to What, How, Why take into consideration.
2. Define: In this phase, we focus on the collection and classification of the information from the empathize phase. The information gets categorized according to ideal customers, their problems, the solution to their problems and needs, and fears of users that we have to consider.
3. Ideate: In this phase, we give an optimized and real-time solution to the problems. No irrespective and illogical thinking accepted. These solutions are raised by Sketching and Prototyping.
4. Prototype: In the prototyping phase, the basic implementation of the design thinking solution is used to verify the solution in real life. During prototyping it finally takes our idea in real life. The prototype must be less expensive and the very first version of the ideal solution.
5. Test: After the above phases finally, it is time to verify the product in real life. Customers are able to use it and give feedback for their personal experience. Also, the designer can ask questions on how to improve such products for better usage.
6. Implementation: This is a final phase of design thinking where all collected information gets converted into the final product. The implementation phase takes about a month to develop our new system. Both frontend and backend developers work to implement the requirements.
Design Thinking is Helpful in Many Areas:
- It is used in project management, it is used to define the scope and architecture of the project.
- It is used for business management. It used to focus on the features which have more value in the actual world.
- It helps to allocate the goal so that we can go towards the exact direction with more clear views. In this way, it is helpful in the development field.
- For most of the team works, It allows us to work in a more effective manner and according to users’ requirements.
Design Thinking is also known as Out of the Box thinking. Designers trying to find more and more ways for solving the most common problems. Design Thinking is a way to develop the products by the complete study of how customers interact with products and the conditions in which they implement. Design thinking helps us to research the right topic and create exact prototype according to the customer’s needs. It helps to go in-depth for better understanding and powerful research. It discovers new ways to upgrade the product with its design. Design Thinking is an iterative process. It is non-linear too. It means that the previous results are continuously examined and reviewed by the development team for better understanding. It also helps to add an alternative solution that replaces the previous model or design.
3 Principles of Design Thinking:
- Empathy: This principle is depends on empathize phase of design thinking. User requirement is the first priority of design thinking. There is no need to focus on the optional features for users. But the smartness to develop a design that fulfills the customer’s requirements.
- Expansive Thinking: It is the principal of finding many ways to solve the problem of finding the solution. This principle is also known as BrainStorming. The main motive for this is to think big.
- Experimentation: After finding many solutions, you have to find that optimized solution from the list. Experiments are necessary for building a more effective prototype. For the selection of the correct prototype, it must be tested before releasing it for the public. It is a method that is accessible form almost everyone.
Design Thinking methodology is applied in many of the industries like Airbnb, IBM, Stanford Hospitals, Uber eats, Bank of America, and many more. Instead of using more traditional approaches and producing things in sequential steps, we have chosen to iterate through the six design thinking stages. Empathize. Define, Ideate, Prototype, Test, Implement. This allowed us to produce a very well-received product.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.