What is Intranet?
Intranet is a kind of private network. For example, an intranet is used by different organizations and only members/staff of that organization have access to this. It is a system in which multiple PCs of an organization (or the PCs you want to connect) are connected to each other through intranet. As this is a private network, so no one from the outside world can access this network. So many organizations and companies have their own intranet network and only its members and staff have access to this network. This is also used to protect your data and provide data security to a particular organization, as it is a private network and does not leak data to the outside world.
Let us understand more about intranet with the help of a diagram, as shown below:
Here in this diagram, a company or an organization has created its own private network or intranet for its work(intranet network is under the circle). The company or organization has many employees(in this diagram, we have considered 3). So, for their access, they have PC 1, PC 2, and PC 3(In the real world there are many employees as per the requirements of an organization). Also, they have their own server for files or data to store, and to protect this private network, there is a Firewall. This firewall protects and gives security to the intranet server and its data from getting leaked to any unwanted user. So, a user who has access to the intranet can only access this network. So, no one from the outside world can access this network. Also, an intranet user can access the internet but a person using the internet cannot access the intranet network.
Advantages of intranet:
- In the intranet, the cost of conveying data utilizing the intranet is very low.
- Using intranet employees can easily get data anytime and anywhere.
- It is easy to learn and use.
- It can be utilized as a correspondence center point where employees can store data at whatever point they need and download files in just a few seconds.
- It connects employees with each other.
- The documents stored on the intranet are much more secure.
Disadvantages of intranet:
- The expense of actualizing intranets is normally high.
- The staff of the company or organization require special training to know how to use the system.
- Data overloading.
- Although the intranet provides good security, but it still lacks in some places.
As we talk about the Intranet, it is too obvious to compare it with the Internet and for that, we have to look on the similarities and differences of both. There are many similarities and differences between the Internet and Intranet:
Similarities between the internet and intranet:
- Intranet uses TCP/IP and FTP which are internet protocols.
- Via web browser Intranet sites are accessible in the same as internet sites are accessible. But internet sites are accessible to all and intranet hosted sites are available only to its members or staff’s with access.
- As there is yahoo messenger or Gtalk available on the internet, similarly there is own instant messenger available in Intranet.
Differences between the internet and intranet:
- Intranet is limited and available to few PCs(members who have access) whereas the Internet is available to all PCs and everybody has access.
- Intranet is restricted, whereas the Internet has wider access and it provides access to a larger population with better access to its websites.
- Intranet is safe and secure when it comes to data security and Intranet can be safely privatized as per the user requirement whereas the internet is not as safe as Intranet.
Question 1: Who can access the intranet network?
(A) Anyone with internet access
(B) only internet users
(C) Members who have access to this intranet network
(D) No one
The correct option is C, i.e., members who have access to this intranet network.
Because intranet are used by different organizations and only members/staff of that organization have the access to this.
Question 2: Internet is limited and available to a few PCs (members who have access)? True or False?
False because internet is accessible to all. It is not a private network.
Question 3: Which network is more secured and safe, when it comes to data security?
(B) Both internet and intranet
(D) None of the above
The correct option is C, i.e., Intranet
Because intranet is safe and secure when it comes to data security, intranet can be safely privatized as per the user requirement whereas the internet is not safe as Intranet.
Question 4: __________ is a private network and does not leak data to the outside world.
(B) Both internet and intranet
(D) None of the above
The correct option is A, i.e., Intranet
Question 5: Internet and Intranet both uses __________ .
(A) yahoo messenger
(C) Server for data storage
(D) TCP/IP and FTP
The correct option is D, i.e., TCP/IP and FTP
Question 6: Internet is restricted whereas Intranet has wider access? True or False?
False because intranet is restricted whereas the Internet has wider access and it provides access to a larger population with better access to its websites.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Join the First-Step-to-DSA Course for Class 9 to 12 students , specifically designed to introduce data structures and algorithms to the class 9 to 12 students