Web Developer or Android Developer – Which One is Better Career Choice?
Web development and Android development are the two most emerging career sectors for developers. Both of these sectors require different skills, have different markets, and most important have diversified usability. While making choice, we need to compare them on the basis of the frameworks required for development steps in learning Web Development and Android development, level of difficulty, career opportunities, salaries, and future trends of android and web development. So, if you are confused about what to choose among web and android development, you have clicked the correct article!!
In this article, we will discuss and compare web development and android development on all the necessary parameters that will help you to choose the career option which suits you.
1. Understand Difference Between Web Development and Android Development:
- Front-End Web Development: It involves designing the webpage i.e. how the website looks, inserting the content as well as specifying different navigation.
- Back-End Web Development: It involves dealing with the database and server-side programming. It basically maintains all the data that is being entered and processes the data to display the output to the users.
- Full Stack Web Development: It is a combination of front end development as well as back end development. The full stack developer takes care of the designing of the websites as well as maintaining and processing the data entered.
Android Development involving the designing of mobile applications. Here the developer is required to build the applications for android devices. In general, the most popular languages used for android development are Java and Kotlin.
2. Steps to Learn: Web Development and Android Development
Step 1: Select your field of interest among Front End and Backend Development
Step 2: Front End Developers need to learn the skills required such as
- Creating the layout using HTML (Hypertext Markup Language)
- Styling your web page using different attributes in CSS (Cascading Style Sheet)
- Responsive designs that help web pages to adjust to the device (Bootstrap)
- Version control systems such as Git and GitHub also need to be used as they allow to track changes made and go back to the previous versions.
If you are interested in Backend development then you can learn
- Programming languages such as Java or Python,
- Server-side frameworks such as Node JS and
- SQL and NoSQL Database Systems such as MYSQL, MongoDB where data to be stored, retrieved, and updated.
Step 3: You also need to know about HTTP protocols and deployment tools which allow moving files/data to and from the server.
Learning DevOps would be a great addition as it helps a single team to implement the entire Application Development Lifecycle.
An android developer specializes in designing applications and android apps for the marketplace.
Step 1: Learn the basics of android development which includes
- Java SDK
- Knowledge of any programming language among Java/Kotlin
- Android UI Design
Step 2: Learn the advanced skills of android development which includes
- Proficient in using Git, REST API
- Knowledge about Database Systems
- Able to design applications around UI, cloud message API, and continuous integration.
3. Difficulty Level
Front-End Web development is slightly easier than Backend Web development because in the backend you need to keep track of the data processed in addition to storing and maintaining the data. Overall web development is comparatively easier than android development – however, it majorly depends on the project you build. For example, developing a web page using HTML and CSS can be considered an easier job in comparison with building a basic android application.
4. Career Opportunities
The global mobile application development market is likely to expand at a 14% CAGR during the forecast period (2016-2022). Similarly, the job opportunities for Web Developers are expected to grow by 25-27% by the year 2024. So, the job market for both technologies is constantly increasing. But since learning web development is comparatively easier than android development, competition for web developers is huge! On the other hand, android developers are relatively lesser in numbers than web developers, so they are slightly in greater demand. Developers skilled in both android and web development would have the highest demand overall because it will open up much more career opportunities for them in both the developing fields.
5. Learning Curve
6. Salary & Future Advancements
Salary is one of the most seen requirements while deciding on career options. So for a Web developer in India, salary varies from 5 LPA to 27 LPA depending upon the experience and expertise in the development. Salary of android developer also lies somewhere in the same region, it is slightly more for iOS developers as skilled iOS developers are lesser as compared to android developers.
As technological advancements are growing day by day, web developers and android developers both have a great future ahead. The demand for good and user-friendly mobile and web applications is continuously going to rise in the future and not going to stop any time soon!!
So, as of now, you have got a clear picture of which career option suits you the best! Now, what are you waiting for? Pick up a domain and start learning!!
Please Login to comment...