University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET) is a national-level exam conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). It aims to provide job opportunities for the positions of “Assistant Professor” or “Junior Research Fellowship & Assistant Professor Programme”. Successful candidates are recruited for these roles in Indian Universities and Colleges.
The official notification for UGC NET December 2023 is expected to be released soon by NTA. For detailed information about the UGC NET December exam 2023, we recommend reading the complete article.
UGC NET 2023
UGC NET 2023 Notifications – Application Form (Released Soon)
All exam details & latest updates about UGC NET 2024 available here:
- Application form was released on September 30, 2023 for December session exam.
- Exam dates announced: December 6-22, 2023 for December session exam.
UGC NET 2023 – Other Important Updates
Here are some major updates that NTA Introduce this year 2023:
- The UGC has increased the number of NET subject codes from 81 to 83.
- The UGC has also introduced a new NET subject code for “Home Science”.
- The UGC has revised the UGC NET syllabus for some subjects.
UGC NET 2023 Highlights
The Complete highlights of UGC NET 2023 are described below.
|UGC NET (University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test)
|NTA (National Testing Agency)
|Twice a Year
|Online – Computer Based Test (CBT)
|3 Hours (180 minutes)
- Rs. 1150 for General/UR
- Rs. 600 for OBC/Gen-EWS
- Rs. 325 for SC/ST/PwD
- Shift 1: 09:00 AM to 12:00 Noon
- Shift 2: 03:00 PM to 06:00 PM
- Paper 1: 100 Marks
- Paper 2: 200 Marks
There are two papers,
- Paper 1 contains 50 MCQs.
- Paper 2 contains 100 MCQs.
- 2 Marks for each correct answer
- No negative marking
|English and Hindi
UGC NET 2023 Exam Dates
UGC NET Exam occurs twice a year. The first one is in the month of June and the other one is in the month of December. Currently, the UGC NET Exam of the month of June has been successfully conducted and the Result is also out.
UGC NET 2023 December Important Dates
The National Testing Agency (NTA) has released the exam dates for the UGC NET Exam of December session. The exam will be held from December 6-22, 2023.
|September 30, 2023
|October 31, 2023 (Upto 11:59 PM)
|October 31, 2023 (Upto 11:59 PM)
|November 01-03, 2023 (Upto 11:59 PM)
|4th week of November 2023
|1st week of December 2023
|December 6-22, 2023
UGC NET 2023 June
UGC NET Exam 2023 of June month has been successfully conducted and Results are also published. Go to the Official Website for the Results. Below mentioned is the table where all the dates are properly mentioned.
|10th May 2023
|10th May 2023
|31st May 2023 (Up to 5 PM)
|01st June 2023 (Up to 11:50 PM)
|02nd -03rd June (Up to 11:50 PM)
|10th June 2023
|13th to 22nd June 2023
|06th July 2023
|25th July 2023
UGC NET 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Make sure you meet these two main eligibility criteria before applying for the UGC NET Exam.
Criteria 1: Age Limit
Here are the age limit criteria for UGC NET:
- The maximum age of the candidate should not be more than 30 years to be eligible for UGC NET JRF (Junior Research Fellowship).
- For the post of Assistant Professor, there is no age limit.
- 3 Years of Relaxation will be given for candidates having LLM Degree, and 5 years of relaxation will be given to candidates served in the armed forces
- Candidates coming from the reserved category, have a maximum relaxation of 5 years.
Criteria 2: Educational Qualifications
Here are the educational qualifications required for the UGC NET:
- Candidates have completed their post-graduation from a recognized college/university.
- The General / Unreserved / General-EWS candidates are required to have a Master’s degree or its equivalent with a minimum of 55% marks and the Non-Creamy Layer / Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe / Persons with Disability / Transgender category candidates are required 50% marks.
- Candidates who are pursuing their Master’s degree or equivalent course candidates who have appeared for their qualifying Master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test.
- Also, you can check the detailed eligibility criteria including information like relaxation schemes, etc. from the official website.
UGC NET 2023 Application Form
The UGC NET 2023 application form has been released for the December session. Candidates can apply online from September 30 to October 28, 2023.
- The application form is available only in online mode.
- Candidates can edit incorrect details in the application form for a limited time period.
- Only one application form will be accepted per candidate.
- Candidates must upload a passport-size photograph and signature in the prescribed format.
- Candidates are advised to check the eligibility criteria before applying.
- All important information will be sent to the registered email ID and phone number.
- Candidates must take a printout of the completed application form for future reference.
The application fee can be paid online using a credit card, debit card, or UPI. The application fee for different categories is as follows:
- General/ UR category: Rs. 1150/-
- General-EWS/ OBC-NCL category: Rs. 600/-
- SC/ ST/ PwD/ Transgender: Rs. 325/-
How to Apply for UGC NET 2023
The step-by-step procedure to fill UGC NET 2023 application form:
Step 1: Visit the official NTA website by clicking on the provided link.
Step 2: On the homepage, locate and click on the “Register Here” link.
Step 3: Fill in your personal details, including your name, phone number, email ID, Aadhar number, and parent’s name.
Step 4: Log in using the OTP sent to your registered phone number and email ID.
Step 5: Provide your educational information and any other required details to complete the application process.
Step 6: Upload a passport-sized photograph and your signature in JPG format.
Step 7: Before submission, carefully review all the information provided in the application form.
Step 8: Pay the application fee according to your category.
Step 9: After successful fee submission, a confirmation page will appear on your computer screen.
Step 10: Print and save this confirmation page for future reference.
UGC NET 2024 Application Correction
The National Testing Agency (NTA) will provide a one-time opportunity for candidates to edit their UGC NET 2023 application form. The correction window will be available from September 30 to October 31, 2023 for the December session. Candidates can use their login credentials to edit any incorrect details in the application form.
Here are some tips for editing your UGC NET 2023 application form:
- Carefully review the application form before making any changes.
- Make sure that all of the information you provide is accurate and up-to-date.
- Proofread your changes carefully before submitting the form.
- The NTA has introduced a new provision that allows candidates to change their exam center after the correction window has closed.
- The NTA has also increased the number of times that candidates can edit their application form from one to two.
UGC NET 2023 Selection Procedure
UGC NET Selection Process is similar to other competitive exams. The process starts from the official notification where all the important dates are mentioned. Some of the major steps in the UGC NET Selection Process are mentioned below.
Step 1: Fill UGC NET Application Form
This is the first step in the Selection Process of UGC NET. It starts with the release of an Official Notification. Candidates need to register and fill out the form online using the official website of UGC NET. This process will only be successful after you pay the application fee.
Step 2: Download UGC NET Admit Card
After successful registration, NTA releases admit cards about a week before the exam. Candidates can easily download the admit card from the official website. Candidates must carry an admit card on the day of the examination.
Step 3: Appear for the Examination
Candidates must have to appear for the examination. UGC NET is an online test that comprises 3 hours. Candidates have to appear on both papers within this time period.
Step 4: Check UGC NET Result
NTA will release the UGC NET Result as per the schedule mentioned in the notification. Candidates can check the results through the official website. The result clarifies whether you have passed the examination or failed to clear it.
UGC NET 2023 Registration
Applicants can complete the UGC NET 2023 Registration at the official website ugcnet.nta.nic.in: https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/ after the notification is released. The following documents are required to be uploaded during the registration process:
- Aadhaar Card (optional)
- 10th mark sheet
- 12th mark sheet
- Graduation Certificate
- Master’s Degree Certificate
- Ph.D. certificate (if applicable)
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
- EWS Certificate (if applicable)
- Disability Certificate (if applicable)
- Domicile Certificate (if applicable)
- Recent passport-size photograph
Please note that the Aadhaar Card is not mandatory for UGC NET 2023 Registration. Applicants can use any other valid government-issued identity proof.
UGC NET Syllabus 2023
UGC NET Computer Science Syllabus 2023: The University Grants Commission prescribes the UGC NET syllabus for each session. The NTA/UGC website will shortly be updated with the UGC NET syllabus for the December 2023 cycle. Without revision or update, the UGC NET 2023 syllabus will remain unchanged for the UGC NET 2023 December cycle. If the UGC NET curriculum is amended for any subject(s), the NTA must submit an official announcement along with the new syllabus.
The syllabus for the UGC NET is divided into two sections:
- UGC NET Paper 1 Syllabus 2023
- UGC NET Paper 2 Syllabus 2023.
UGC NET 2023 Paper 1 Syllabus
The UGC NET Paper 1 syllabus is the same for all applicants taking the UGC NET test in 2023. Paper 1 contains 50 MCQs, which would be of a maximum of 100 marks.
Based on various previous year question papers and other parameters, we’ve compiled a list of the most important topics that you need to cover to crack the exam:
Here is the list of the most important topics for UGC NET 2023 Paper 1 given below
- Teaching Aptitude
- Research Aptitude
- Mathematical Reasoning and Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning
- Data Interpretation
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
- People, Development and Environment
- Higher Education System
UGC NET 2023 Paper 2 Syllabus
- The UGC NET paper 2 syllabus varies per subject. The second paper contains subject-specific questions in which the applicants specialize.
- Paper 2 contains 100 MCQs, which would be a of maximum 200 marks. Both the papers must be completed within 3 hours.
- Paper 2 syllabus is dependent on the stream in which the candidate chose to appear. There are several streams in which a candidate can appear.
You can access UGC NET 2023 paper 2 notes for free.
UGC Net 2023 Exam Pattern
The selection of the candidates will be based on their performance in the Online Examination. The exam will be conducted as a Computer Based Test (CBT) and consist of two papers.
- Exam Mode: The UGC NET exam will be conducted in online mode (computer-based test).
- Number of Papers: There will be two papers in the exam: Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- Languages: Candidates can choose to take the exam in English or Hindi.
- Number of Questions: The question paper will consist of 150 questions.
- Question Type: All questions will be multiple-choice questions (MCQs).
- Time Duration: Candidates will have 3 hours to complete the exam.
- Marking Scheme: Each correct answer will be awarded 2 marks. There is no negative marking for incorrect answers.
*It is mandatory for the candidates to appear in both – Paper 1 and Paper 2.
Paper 1: The questions in Paper I intend to assess the teaching/ research aptitude of the candidate. It will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, reading comprehension, divergent thinking, and general awareness of the candidate.
Paper 2: This is based on the subject selected by the candidate and will assess domain knowledge.
The number of questions & marks as per paper will be as follows:
||UGC NET Research & Teaching Aptitude
(Computer Science and Applications)
UGC NET 2023 Admit Card
The National Testing Agency (NTA) is responsible for releasing the admit cards within time. Candidates who have successfully enrolled for the UGC NET Examination can be able to download the admit card some days before the Examination on the official website of UGC NET.
UGC NET 2023 Answer Key
The UGC NET Answer Key 2023 is released in two parts: provisional answer key and final answer key. Candidates can use the UGC NET Answer Key 2023 to calculate their approximate scores in the exam.
Here are some of the important details about the UGC NET Answer Key 2023:
- Release date: The final UGC NET Answer Key 2023 was released on July 25, 2023.
- Where to download: Candidates can download the UGC NET Answer Key 2023 from the official website of the NTA.
- How to calculate scores: To calculate their approximate scores in the UGC NET exam, candidates can use the following formula:
- Score = (Number of correct answers) * 2 – (Number of incorrect answers)
- Challenges: Candidates can raise objections against the provisional answer key. To do this, they must visit the NTA website and pay a fee of ₹1,000 per question. The NTA will consider the objections and release the final answer key accordingly.
UGC NET 2023 Result
After the release of answer keys, NTA will announce the UGC NET Result 2023 in January 2024. Students can check their results online in the UGC NET Portal. You will get the marks scored in both the papers Papers in the result.
UGC NET 2023 Scorecard
UGC NET Scorecard comes along with the results. UGC Scorecard consists of several important information about the candidate and the examination. These include marks, rank scored by candidate, percentile, etc.
UGC NET 2023 Cut Off
UGC NET Cut-Off will be available online after the entrance test. Specific Category-wise and subject-wise merit lists will be available to the students on the official website. We are also mentioning here the trends of cut-off marks (information gathered as per data gathered from last three years records).
|40 Marks 40%
||80 Marks 40 (40%)
|35 Marks 35%
||70 Marks (35%)
UGC NET 2023 Reservation Criteria
The UGC NET 2023 Exam follows government guidelines for reservation policies, and here are the details.
- 10% of the seats are reserved for general EWS candidates.
- 15% of the seats are reserved for Schedule Caste(SC).
- 7.5% of the seats are reserved for Schedule Tribe(ST).
- 27% of the seats are reserved for OBC-NCL(Non-Creamy Layer).
- 4% reservation is for Persons with Disabilities (PwD).
UGC NET Preparation Tips 2023
Here are some tips to help you prepare for the UGC NET Exam 2023.
- Understand the exam pattern and syllabus thoroughly.
- Create a study plan and stick to it.
- Make notes as you study.
- Solve previous year’s papers and mock tests.
- Start revising early.
- Take care of yourself.
UGC NET 2023 – FAQs
1. How can I prepare for UGC NET exam?
Preparing for the UGC NET Exam requires a high level of passion and dedication due to its high difficulty level. Here are some tips to help you succeed:
- Gather basic information about the exam, such as eligibility criteria, exam pattern, syllabus, and recommended books.
- Stay updated on the latest exam notifications to keep track of important activities.
- Analyze the entire UGC NET syllabus and create a preparation strategy. Begin with the Paper-1 syllabus, as it is less complex than Paper-2, and aim to complete it quickly.
- Create short revision notes for last-minute review.
- Manage your time effectively by prioritizing topics based on their level of importance.
- Practice with previous years’ question papers and online mock test papers.
- Stay positive, hopeful, and confident throughout your preparation.
2. What is the marking scheme of the UGC NET exam?
For candidates taking the UGC NET exam, below is the marking scheme to be followed. This scheme will help candidates understand the exam pattern and prepare accordingly. Additionally, it will allow candidates to calculate their probable scores from the UGC NET provisional answer key released by the National Testing Agency (NTA). The marking system is as follows:
- For correct answers, 2 marks will be awarded.
- There are no negative marks for incorrect answers.
- Unanswered or marked for-review questions will not receive any marks.
- For questions that are ambiguous, or have multiple correct answers, 2 marks will be awarded to those who have chosen one of the correct answers.
- For incorrect or dropped questions, 2 marks will be awarded to those who attempted the question.
3. What is the UGC NET syllabus for 2023?
The UGC NET exam syllabus has two sections: Paper 1 and Paper 2. Paper 1 is common for all candidates, while Paper 2 is subject-specific. Candidates will be asked questions from the subject they have chosen to appear for the exam. The UGC NET Paper 1 exam covers various topics, including Teaching Aptitude, Research Aptitude, Maths, Reasoning, Communication, Data Interpretation, Environmental Studies, and more. To access the syllabus for UGC NET Paper 2, candidates can refer to the link provided below.
4. How can I register for UGC NET 2023?
To register for UGC NET 2023, you need to visit the official website of the National Testing Agency (NTA) and fill out the online application form. You will need to create an account and provide your personal details, academic qualifications, and other relevant information. You will also need to upload a scanned copy of your photograph and signature. Once you have submitted the application form, you will need to pay the application fee.
5. What is the last date of submission of the application form?
The last date of submission of the application form for UGC NET 2023 December session is October 28, 2023.
6. What is the mode of conducting the UGC NET exam?
The UGC NET exam is conducted in online mode (computer-based test).
7. How can I select the date and slot of the exam?
You will be able to select the date and slot of the exam during the application process. You will be given a list of available dates and slots, and you can select the one that is most convenient for you.
8. What will be the duration for the exam?
The UGC NET exam is a three-hour exam. Each paper is three hours long, and you will have a break of one hour between the two papers.
9. Is there any negative marking in UGC NET 2023 examination?
Yes, there is negative marking in the UGC NET 2023 exam. For every incorrect answer, 1/3 of a mark will be deducted.
10. For how many subjects UGC NET exam will be conducted?
The UGC NET exam is conducted for 83 subjects. You can choose to appear for one or two subjects.
11. What is my rank on all India basis in UGC NET exam?
The UGC NET exam does not have an all-India rank. Instead, your rank will be determined by your performance in relation to the other candidates who appeared for the same subject.
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!