The GATE exam is created to test the knowledge and understanding of undergraduate students in various subjects of engineering and science. It is conducted by IISc and seven IIT’s jointly and is basically a gateway for post-graduate admissions in India and entry-level positions in Indian PSU’s.
The GATE exam is held once every year, usually in February and the results are declared approximately a month later. Keeping this in mind, some of the tips to prepare for the next GATE exam are given as follows:
- Understand the GATE syllabus and pattern
The first step in GATE preparation is understanding the GATE syllabus and pattern. This is necessary as the syllabus may differ a little each year and there might be minute changes in the pattern as well. Moreover, a thorough study plan cannot be created until the exam syllabus and pattern are known.
- Find the books required according to the syllabus
There are many recommended books available for all subjects of the GATE exam. Generally, two or three books are enough for a particular subject where one book can be used in the start and other books can be referred if any doubts arise.
- Create a study plan for GATE preparation
It is necessary to have a study plan for GATE preparation as it inculcates discipline and time management skills. It is best to create a unique study plan tailored to the strengths and weaknesses of the individual with the appropriate revision and evaluation slots.
- Focus on Aptitude and Mathematics as well
It is very important to focus on Aptitude and Mathematics as they are quite scoring subjects and constitute around 30 marks in the GATE exam. These subjects can be studied from the standard recommended books and practiced with the help of the previous year GATE papers.
- Prepare notes on the relevant topics
Preparing notes with the important information and formulae is vital as these notes can be referred later during revision. This cuts down on the revision time as the notes contain important information from all subjects in a single place. Notes for GATE CS are available at GeeksforGeeks.
- Strengthen your conceptual knowledge
It is important to have conceptual clarity as GATE is an exam that tests the candidates’ concepts and has very little questions that have direct application of formulae. Also, understanding of the subject concepts can lead to the correct response in GATE if there are any doubts as to the answer.
- Familiarize yourself with the virtual calculator
The virtual calculator can be a little complicated and so it is important to familiarize yourself with it before the GATE exam. This can result in an increase in calculation speed which is very advantageous in a competitive exam like GATE.
- Evaluate your understanding of a topic after studying it
It is very important to evaluate your understanding of a topic after studying it. This will reveal the weak points in your preparation that can then be eliminated. Moreover, self-evaluation also helps in retaining the knowledge that you have learnt.
- Revise the topics at suitable intervals
After understanding a topic thoroughly, it is important to revise it at suitable intervals otherwise there is a chance of forgetting it. Revision can be done using the short notes or flash cards made during studying.
- Analyze previous GATE papers and attempt multiple mock tests
Analyzing and attempting previous GATE papers and GATE mock tests is an excellent way of understanding the GATE structure in a controlled environment. This also helps in improving time management skills and reduces silly mistakes in the actual GATE exam.
- Important Tips on How To Prepare for the GRE
- How to prepare for GATE CSE - 2019
- How to prepare in Last 10 days to score high in GATE?
- 7 Tips to Score High in GATE 2020 in Last 10 Days
- How to Prepare for HR Interviews
- How Should a Fresher Prepare for a Job Interview?
- How to Prepare for the GRE General Test
- How to Prepare a Word List for the GRE General Test
- How To Prepare For InfyTQ (Infosys Certification Exam)?
- How to prepare for Aptitude Test for BIG4 Articleship Interview ?
- 10 Cybersecurity Tips For Entrepreneur
- How to Prepare for Amazon AWS Cloud Support Associate On-Campus test?
- Some Useful Tips for Choosing Best VPN and Recommended VPN Services
- Tips to Crack a Telephonic Job Interview
- Resume Building - Resources and Tips
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.