Given a “2 x n” board and tiles of size “2 x 1”, count the number of ways to tile the given board using the 2 x 1 tiles. A tile can either be placed horizontally i.e., as a 1 x 2 tile or vertically i.e., as 2 x 1 tile.
Input n = 3 Output: 3 Explanation: We need 3 tiles to tile the board of size 2 x 3. We can tile the board using following ways 1) Place all 3 tiles vertically. 2) Place first tile vertically and remaining 2 tiles horizontally. 3) Place first 2 tiles horizontally and remaining tiles vertically Input n = 4 Output: 5 Explanation: For a 2 x 4 board, there are 5 ways 1) All 4 vertical 2) All 4 horizontal 3) First 2 vertical, remaining 2 horizontal 4) First 2 horizontal, remaining 2 vertical 5) Corner 2 vertical, middle 2 horizontal
Let “count(n)” be the count of ways to place tiles on a “2 x n” grid, we have following two ways to place first tile.
1) If we place first tile vertically, the problem reduces to “count(n-1)”
2) If we place first tile horizontally, we have to place second tile also horizontally. So the problem reduces to “count(n-2)”
Therefore, count(n) can be written as below.
count(n) = n if n = 1 or n = 2 count(n) = count(n-1) + count(n-2)
The above recurrence is noting but Fibonacci Number expression. We can find n’th Fibonacci number in O(Log n) time, see below for all method to find n’th Fibonacci Number.
This article is contributed by Saurabh Jain. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Count even length binary sequences with same sum of first and second half bits
- Count the number of ways to tile the floor of size n x m using 1 x m size tiles
- Program for Fibonacci numbers
- Minimum number of squares whose sum equals to given number n
- Count number of ways to fill a “n x 4” grid using “1 x 4” tiles
- Longest Decreasing Subsequence
- Total number of decreasing paths in a matrix
- Smallest number with given sum of digits and sum of square of digits
- Sum of product of consecutive Binomial Coefficients
- Check if array sum can be made K by three operations on it