Given a positive integer n, the task is to find the sum of binomail coefficient i.e
nC0 + nC1 + nC2 + ……. + nCn-1 + nCn
Input : n = 4 Output : 16 4C0 + 4C1 + 4C2 + 4C3 + 4C4 = 1 + 4 + 6 + 4 + 1 = 16 Input : n = 5 Output : 8
Method 1 (Brute Force):
The idea is to evaluate each binomial coefficient term i.e nCr, where 0 <= r <= n and calculate the sum of all the terms.
Below is the implementation of this approach:
Method 2 (Using Formula):
This can be proved in 2 ways.
First Proof: Using Principle of induction.
For basic step, n = 0
LHS = 0C0 = (0!)/(0! * 0!) = 1/1 = 1.
RHS= 20 = 1.
LHS = RHS
For induction step:
Let k be an integer such that k > 0 and for all r, 0 <= r <= k, where r belong to integers,
the formula stand true.
kC0 + kC1 + kC2 + ……. + kCk-1 + kCk = 2k
Now, we have to prove for n = k + 1,
k+1C0 + k+1C1 + k+1C2 + ……. + k+1Ck + k+1Ck+1 = 2k+1
LHS = k+1C0 + k+1C1 + k+1C2 + ……. + k+1Ck + k+1Ck+1
(Using nC0 = 0 and n+1Cr = nCr + nCr-1)
= 1 + kC0 + kC1 + kC1 + kC2 + …… + kCk-1 + kCk + 1
= kC0 + kC0 + kC1 + kC1 + …… + kCk-1 + kCk-1 + kCk + kCk
= 2 X ∑ nCr
= 2 X 2k
Second Proof: Using Binomial theorem expansion
Binomial expansion state,
(x + y)n = nC0 xn y0 + nC1 xn-1 y1 + nC2 xn-2 y2 + ……… + nCn-1 x1 yn-1 + nCn x0 yn
Put x = 1, y = 1
(1 + 1)n = nC0 1n 10 + nC1 xn-1 11 + nC2 1n-2 12 + ……… + nCn-1 11 1n-1 + nCn 10 1n
2n = nC0 + nC1 + nC2 + ……. + nCn-1 + nCn
Below is implementation of this approach:
- Mathematics | PnC and Binomial Coefficients
- Sum of squares of binomial coefficients
- Program for Binomial Coefficients table
- Find sum of even index binomial coefficients
- Sum of product of consecutive Binomial Coefficients
- Binomial Coefficient | DP-9
- Sum of product of r and rth Binomial Coefficient (r * nCr)
- Corollaries of Binomial Theorem
- Binomial Random Variables
- Maximum binomial coefficient term value
- Space and time efficient Binomial Coefficient
- Middle term in the binomial expansion series
- Program to print binomial expansion series
- Eggs dropping puzzle (Binomial Coefficient and Binary Search Solution)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : jit_t