Prerequisite : IEEE Standard 754 Floating Point Numbers
Given a floating point number, the task is to find the hexadecimal representation for the number by IEEE 754 standard.
The IEEE Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic (IEEE 754) is a technical standard for floating-point computation which was established in 1985 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). The standard addressed many problems found in the diverse floating point implementations that made them difficult to use reliably and reduced their portability. IEEE Standard 754 floating point is the most common representation today for real numbers on computers, including Intel-based PC’s, Macs, and most Unix platforms.
Input : -6744.90 Output : C5D2C733 Input : -263.3 Output : C383A666
- Check whether the number is positive or negative. Save the sign as 0 for positive and 1 for negative, and then convert the number into positive if it is negative.
- Convert the floating point number to binary.
- Separate the decimal part and the whole number part.
- Calculate the exponent(E) and convert it to binary.
- Find the mantissa.
- Concatinate the sign of mantissa, exponent and the mantissa.
- Convert it into hexadecimal.
Let’s write a Python program to represent a floating number as hexadecimal by IEEE 754 standard.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.