Problem – Write an assembly language program in 8086 microprocessor to convert an 8 bit BCD number into hexadecimal number.
Initial value of segment register is 00000.
Calculation of physical memory address:
Memory Address = Segment Register * 10(H) + Offset
where Segment Register is 00000 (Assumption) and Offset is given in the program.
- Assign value 500 in SI and 600 in DI.
- Move the contents of [SI] in BL.
- Use AND instruction to calculate AND between 0F and contents of BL.
- Move the contents of [SI] in AL.
- Use AND instruction to calculate AND between F0 and contents of AL.
- Move 04 in CL.
- Use ROR instruction on AL.
- Move 0A in DL.
- Use MUL instruction to multiply AL with DL.
- Use ADD instruction to add AL with BL.
- Move the contents of AL in [DI].
- Halt the program.
|0400||MOV SI, 500||SI <- 500|
|0403||MOV DI, 600||DI <- 600|
|0406||MOV BL, [SI]||BL <- [SI]|
|0408||AND BL, 0F||BL = BL AND 0F|
|040A||MOV AL, [SI]||AL <- [SI]|
|040C||AND AL, F0||BL = AL AND F0|
|040E||MOV CL, 04||CL = 04|
|0410||ROR AL, CL||Rotate AL|
|0412||MOV DL, 0A||DL = 0A|
|0414||MUL DL||AX = AL * DL|
|0416||ADD AL, BL||AL = AL + BL|
|0418||MOV [DI], AL||[DI] <- AL|
|041A||HLT||End of Program|
Explanation – Registers used SI, DI, AL, BL, CL, DL.
- MOV SI,500 is used to move offset 500 to Starting Index(SI)
- MOV DI,600 is used to move offset 600 to Destination Index(DI)
- MOV BL,[SI] is used to move the contents of [SI] to BL
- AND BL,0F is used to mask the higher order nibble from BL
- MOV AL,[SI] is used to move the contents of [SI] to AL
- AND AL,F0 is used to mask the lower order nibble from BL
- MOV CL,04 is used to move 04 to CL
- ROR AL,CL is used to reverse the contents of AL
- MOV DL,0A is used to move 0A to DL
- MUL DL is used to multiply contents of AL with DL
- ADD AL,BL is used to add contents of AL and BL
- MOV [DI],AL is used to move the contents of AL to [DI]
- HLT stops executing the program and halts any further execution
- 8086 program to convert a 16 bit decimal number to Hexadecimal
- 8085 program to convert an 8 bit BCD number into hexadecimal number
- 8085 program to convert a hexadecimal number into ASCII code
- 8086 program to convert 8 bit ASCII to BCD number
- 8086 program to convert 8 bit BCD number into ASCII Code
- 8086 program to convert a 16 bit decimal number to binary
- 8086 program to convert a 16 bit Decimal number to Octal
- 8086 program to divide a 16 bit number by an 8 bit number
- Python program to represent floating number as hexadecimal by IEEE 754 standard
- 8086 program to find the factorial of a number
- 8086 program to reverse 8 bit number using 8 bit operation
- 8086 program to search a number in a string
- 8086 program to find sum of digits of 8 bit number
- 8086 program to reverse 16 bit number using 8 bit operation
- 8086 program to Print a 16 bit Decimal number
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.