Python doesn’t provide any inbuilt method to easily convert floating point decimal numbers to binary number. So, Let’s do this manually.
To convert a floating point decimal number into binary, first convert the integer part into binary form and then fractional part into binary form and finally combine both results to get the final answer.
For Integer Part, keep dividing the number by 2 and noting down the remainder until and unless the dividend is less than 2. If so, stop and copy all the remainders together.
For Decimal Part, keep multiplying the decimal part with 2 until and unless 0 left as fractional part. After multiplying the first time, note down integral part and again multiply decimal part of the new value by 2. Keep doing this until reached a perfect number.
Above steps can be written as :
1(base 10) = 1(base 2) and .234(base 10) = .0011(base 2)
Now, to get the binary of 1.234, merge both results as a complete number.
(1)10 = (1)2[approx.]
(.234)10 = (.0011)2
(1.234)10 = (1.0011...)2
(1.234)10 = (1.0011)2
Below is the implementation :
Enter your floating point value : 1.234 Enter the number of decimal places of the result : 4 1.0011
Enter your floating point value : 11.234 Enter the number of decimal places of the result : 4 1011.0011
- Python program to convert decimal to binary number
- Python program to represent floating number as hexadecimal by IEEE 754 standard
- Python | Ways to convert hex into binary
- Convert binary to string using Python
- Python | Convert String to Binary
- Python program to convert POS to SOP
- Python | Program to convert a tuple to a string
- Python program to convert a list to string
- Python | Program to convert String to a List
- Python program to convert hex string to decimal
- Python program to convert float decimal to Octal number
- Program to Convert Octal Number to Binary Number
- Floating point error in Python
- Python regex | Check whether the input is Floating point number or not
- Python Program for Binary Insertion Sort
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.