A permutation, also called an “arrangement number” or “order”, is a rearrangement of the elements of an ordered list S into a one-to-one correspondence with S itself. A string of length n has n! permutation ( Source: Mathword )
Below are the permutations of string ABC.
ABC ACB BAC BCA CBA CAB
How to print all permutations iteratively?
A simple solution to use permutations of n-1 elements to generate permutations of n elements.
For example let us see how to generate permutations of size 3 using permutations of size 2.
Permutations of two elements are 1 2 and 2 1.
Permutations of three elements can be obtained by inserting 3 at different positions in all permutations of size 2.
Inserting 3 in different positions of 1 2 leads to 1 2 3, 1 3 2 and 3 1 2.
Inserting 3 in different positions of 2 1 leads to 2 1 3, 2 3 1 and 3 2 1.
To generate permutations of size four, we consider all above six permutations of size three and insert 4 at different positions in every permutation.
An efficient solution is to use Johnson and Trotter algorithm to generate all permutations iteratively.
- Permutations of a given string using STL
- Distinct permutations of the string | Set 2
- Permutations of string such that no two vowels are adjacent
- Print all permutations of a string in Java
- Print all palindrome permutations of a string
- Check if a binary string contains all permutations of length k
- Write a program to print all permutations of a given string
- Print all distinct permutations of a given string with duplicates
- Generate all permutations of a string that follow given constraints
- Iterative program to generate distinct Permutations of a String
- Number of permutations of a string in which all the occurrences of a given character occurs together
- Print all the palindromic permutations of given string in alphabetic order
- Java Program to print distinct permutations of a string
- Print first n distinct permutations of string using itertools in Python
- Number of unique permutations starting with 1 of a Binary String