A permutation, also called an “arrangement number” or “order”, is a rearrangement of the elements of an ordered list S into a one-to-one correspondence with S itself. A string of length n has n! permutation.
Below are the permutations of string ABC.
ABC ACB BAC BCA CBA CAB
We have discussed C implementation to print all permutations of a given string using backtracking here. In this post, C++ implementation using STL is discussed.
std::rotate function rotates elements of a vector/string such that the passed middle element becomes first. For example, if we call rotate for “ABCD” with middle as second element, the string becomes “BCDA” and if we again call rotate with middle as second element, the string becomes “CDAB”. Refer this for a sample program.
Below is C++ implementation.
ABC ACB BCA BAC CAB CBA
We can use next_permute() that modifies a string so that it stores lexicographically next permutation. If current string is lexicographically largest, i.e., “CBA”, then next_permute() returns false.
We first sort the string, so that it is converted to lexicographically smallest permutation. Then we one by one call next_permutation until it returns false.
ABC ACB BCA BAC CAB CBA
Note that the second method always prints permutations in lexicographically sorted order irrespective of input string.
This article is contributed by Aditya Goel. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- Find Kth largest string from the permutations of the string with two characters
- All permutations of a string using iteration
- Distinct permutations of the string | Set 2
- Print all palindrome permutations of a string
- Permutations of string such that no two vowels are adjacent
- Print all permutations of a string in Java
- Time complexity of all permutations of a string
- Print all distinct permutations of a given string with duplicates
- Count of cyclic permutations having XOR with other binary string as 0
- Check if given string can be formed by two other strings or their permutations
- Check if a binary string contains all permutations of length k
- Write a program to print all permutations of a given string
- Generate all permutations of a string that follow given constraints
- Print first n distinct permutations of string using itertools in Python
- Distinct permutations of a string containing duplicates using HashSet in Java