The octal numbers are numbers with 8 base and use digits from 0-7. This system is a base 8 number system. The decimal numbers are the numbers with 10 as their base and use digits from 0-9 to represent the decimal number. They also require dot to represent decimal fractions.
We have to convert a number which is in Octal Number System to Decimal Number System.
The base in Octal Number is 8, which means that an Octal Number will have digits ranging from 0 to 7.
In Octal: 167
In Decimal:(7 * 80) + (6 * 81) +(1 * 82)=119
The below diagram explains how to convert an octal number (123) to an equivalent decimal value:
Approach 1: Using Integer.parseInt() method
To convert any string form to decimal, we can use type.parseType() method. For example, here we need to convert from octal to decimal, and octal form is an integer, so we can use Integer.parseInt() to convert it.
Decimal equivalent of Octal value 157 is: 111
- Start and take the octal input from the user.
- Create a result variable with an initial value of 0 to store the resultant Decimal number.
- Create a loop for getting every digit in the Input.
- Multiply each digit in the number with 8n-1, where n is the digit’s position.
- Then add it to the result.
- Store the value in Step(5) to result variable.
- Print the result variable.
Decimal of Octal Number (167) : 119
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.