An island is a piece of sub-mainland that is encircled by water. India has an aggregate of 1,382 seaward-distinguished islands. The significant island gatherings of India are the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago in the Bay of Bengal and the Lakshadweep Islands in the Arabian Sea.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands were shaped because of an impact between the Indian Plate and Burma Minor Plate. Andaman and Nicobar Islands are toward the south augmentation. Lakshadweep Islands are coral islands. These islands are a piece of Reunion Hotspot volcanism.
The Islands of India
India has a very huge and diversified mainland. The country has two groups of islands, which include the Lakshwadeep Islands and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. These islands are characterized by coral deposits and beaches are subjected to equatorial vegetation and have convectional rainfall.
Islands of India Map
Islands of India
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands is a union territory of India and arranged in the Bay of Bengal, running like a thin chain in the north-south heading stretching out between 6° 45′ N to 13° 45′ N. The Andaman and Nicobar Islands comprising of 572 islands, of which 37 are possessed, at the intersection of the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea and the islands are greater in size and enormous in number.
Following are the features and important points of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands:
- The complete land region of the islands is around 8,249 km².
- The Andaman Islands are separated into three fundamental islands, for example, North Andaman, Middle Andaman, and South Andaman.
- The island affixes are believed to be a lowered expansion of the Arakan Mountains. The Andaman and Nicobar Islands stretch out from 6° 45′ N to 13° 45′ N and from 92° 10′ E to 94° 15′ E.
- It contains two island gatherings, the Andaman Islands (mostly) and the Nicobar Islands, isolated by the 150 km wide Ten Degree Channel, with the Andaman Islands toward the north of this scope, and the Nicobar Islands toward the south
- Duncan’s entry isolates Little Andaman from South Andaman.
- The region’s capital is the city of Port Blair. The domain is separated into three locales: the Nicobar District with Car Nicobar as its capital, the South Andaman region with Port Blair as its capital, and the North and Middle Andaman region with Maya bunder as its capital.
- Among the Nicobar Islands, the Great Nicobar is the biggest. It is the southernmost island and is exceptionally near the Sumatra island of Indonesia. The Car Nicobar is the northernmost.
- Barren Islands are the only active volcanic islands in India, the last eruption was in 2017.
- The saddle top (737 m) in North Andaman is the most elevated peak. Some of the islands are bordered by coral reefs. A large number of them are covered with thick timberlands. The greater part of the islands is rocky.
- The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are otherwise called the Emerald Islands.
- Andaman and Nicobar Island has a tropical marine environment affected by the occasional progression of storm winds. The whole area is defenseless against tremors for all intents and purposes in the serious quake zone. The Andaman Islands are also home to the Sentinelese public, an uncontacted family.
Lakshadweep islands Found south of the Malabar bank of Kerala, the Lakshadweep islands are made out of little coral islands. Lakshadweep Islands arranged in the Arabian Sea is a gathering of 36 islands having an area of 32 square kilometers and stretching out between 8 N and 12 N scope.
- In 1973, different islands were joined to shape the Lakshadweep islands, of which the Kava Ratti island fills in as the managerial settlement.
- Pitti Island is uninhabited, and it has a bird asylum. The name Lakshadweep in Malayalam and Sanskrit signifies a hundred thousand islands.
- Lakshadweep Islands are coral islands. These islands are a piece of Reunion Hotspot volcanism.
What are Corals?
Coral polyps are brief minuscule life forms, which live in provinces. They prosper in shallow, without mud and warm waters. They discharge calcium carbonate. They are attached to Subtract, which can be rock, other corals, marine debris, or another hard surface. By a pedal disc, they are attached to the Subtract. The community of corals is called Colony. They are made up of 3 main components: A hard surface, coral polyps, and reef animals.
- The Lakshadweep Islands bunch is a Union Territory. The name Lakshadweep was embraced on 1 November 1973. These islands were prior known as Laccadive, Mini-coy, and Amin-divi Islands.
- The name Lakshadweep was embraced. The primary islands under the Lakshadweep Islands bunch are Kavaratti, Agatti, Mini-coy, and Amini.
- It is a uni-locale Union Territory and is contained 12 atolls, three reefs, five lowered banks, and ten occupied islands. The islands include 32 sq km. The capital is Kava Ratti and it is likewise the main town of UT. All Islands are 220 to 440 km away from the seaside city of Kochi in Kerala, in the emerald Arabian Sea.
- Lakshadweep has heat and humidity and it has a normal temperature of 27° C – 32° C.
- In the Lakshadweep district, there is a shortfall of backwoods.
- The And-rott Island is the biggest island in the Lakshadweep Islands with an area of 4.90 sq km, a length of 4.66 km, and a most extreme width of 1.43 km. It lies in the east-west bearing, between 10° 48′ and 10° 50′ N scopes and 73° 38′ and 73° 42′ E longitude.
- And-rott is the closest island to the central area. It is the largest island on Lakshadweep. Thick vegetation essentially coconut forests, adds to the excellence of the island.
- Mini-coy Island, situated toward the south of the nine-degree channel is the biggest island among the Lakshadweep group.8 Degree Channel ( 8 degrees north scope) isolates the islands of Mini Coy and the Maldives. 9 Degree Channel ( 9 degrees north scope) isolates the island of Mini Coy from the primary Lakshadweep archipelago. These islands are isolated from each other by exceptionally slender waterways.
Some Important Islands of India
Some of the most important islands of India are as follows:
Majuli Island is located in the state of Assam in India. It is a large river island which is situated in the Brahmaputra and is recognized as one of the biggest islands in Assam. Agriculture is the most important form of livelihood and the island faces a very serious ecological threat because of soil erosion.
The Sriharikota island is situated in the Nellore district in the state of Andhra Pradesh, which is between the Pulicat Lake and the Bay of Bengal. Sriharikota is one of the important Indian Space Research Organization’s satellite launch facilities in India.
Wheeler Island or Abdul Kalam Island is situated on the off-coast of Odisha and has one of the most advanced missile testing facilities Long back the island was named to be Lieutenant Wheeler.
Pamban Island is situated in the Gulf of Mannar, which is between Sri Lanka and India. The island is also known as Rameswaram Island and the majority of the island is covered with white sand, which is not that suitable for cultivation.
The islands and their ecosystems help in the maintenance of the mainland ecosystem functions and help to protect against natural disasters, help to promote nutrient cycling for soil as well as sand formation, and help in the regulation of the climate, environment, and diseases.
FAQs on Islands of India
How many islands are of India?
There are a total of 1,382 islands in India.
What are the 2 islands of India?
There are two major groups of Island in India which includes Andaman and Nicobar Islands on Bay of Bengal and Lakshadweep Islands in Arabian Sea.
What are the major islands of India?
The major islands in India include 2 major are Lakshadweep islands and the Andaman and Nicobar islands.
What are some island name in India?
Some island name in India include Andaman and Nicobar islands, and Lakshadweep Islands.
Which is the biggest island in India?
Andaman and Nicobar island.
Whichi is the smallest island of India?
Share your thoughts in the comments
Please Login to comment...