Prerequisite – Data Marts
In order to implement data mart, we need to follow certain steps. It includes designing the physical and logical structure, loading data into data mart, accessing data from it for managing the data marts. Each and every step plays an important role in the implementation of a successful data mart.
There are following steps for implementing a data mart:
Here is the detailed explanation of the above steps:
Designing is the first step in implementing data mart. Since, data mart stores data related to a particular topic, so this step includes identification of a subject or a topic related to which data mart will store data. Also it includes the sources to gather the information related to the subject and then designing logical and physical structures of data mart.
Steps To Follow:
- Identification of subject.
- Source to gather the information.
- Designing the logical and physical structures.
ER diagrams are used to design the overall structure and the functioning of data mart.
Building is the second phase in implementing data mart. It includes building physical and logical structure of data mart which is designed in the first step.
physical structure means constructing database so that data can be easily accessed from it and logical structure means outer schema.
Steps to Follow:
- Building of physical database which is designed in the first phase.
In order to design database, RDBMS software is required. It helps in implementing tables, views related to the subject.
Populating phase includes putting data into data mart. Before putting data into data warehouse, there is a need to extract the data from sources, the clean it and convert it into correct format and then put the corrected data into data mart. These steps are needed to perform so that data stored in the data mart is appropriate.
Steps To Follow while Populating are:
- Extracting data from external sources.
- Cleaning of extracted data by converting it into correct format.
- Loading correct data into data mart.
ETL tool is used in extracting, transforming and loading data from sources into data mart.
Now the data mart is ready with its data. This is the time to access data from it by making requests related to query occurred. We can access data from data mart either through command line or GUI platform. Making query through GUI based platform is user friendly and used by many organisations comparatively.
Steps to Follow while Accessing are:
- Set up a layer to convert database structures into business terms so that non-technical persons can access data from data mart easily.
- Set up database structures.
- Maintain interface.
GUI is needed which easily take requests of user and display germane results.
This is the last step in implementing data mart. It includes all the management task to manage data mart for long term use.
Managing includes the following:
- Maintaining recovery of data in case system fails.
- adding and deleting data into data mart
- Procedure to access data from data mart should be optimised for enhanced performance.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Data analytics and career opportunities
- Temporal Data and Temporal Consistency
- GATE CS 2021 (Revised) Syllabus
- How to Prepare for GATE CS 2021
- Importance of GATE CSE for tier 3 College Students
- Advantages of Mobile Application over Websites
- Introduction of Probabilistic Computing
- 3 big changes in GATE 2021
- What is Theory of Design Thinking?
- What is EII(Enterprise Information Integration)?
- What is Digital Privacy & Online Safety?
- What is RC4 Encryption?
- Difference Between JSON and CSV
- What is Internal Storage Encoding of Characters(ISCII)?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : vartika02