Many users are in a quandary over the choice of either HDD or SDD. There is not a universal answer, as there are merits and demerits to both of them. The choice is heavily dependent on the user, their needs and budget.
Similarities between HDD and SDD:
- Both are used to store data.
- Both are used to boot the system.
- Both are I/O devices.
Differences between HDD and SDD :
|Full Form||HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive.||SSD stands for Solid State Drive.|
|Components||HDD contains moving mechanical parts, like the arm.||SSD does not contains, mechanical parts, only electronical parts like ICs.|
|R/W Time||HDD has longer R/W time.||SSD has shorter R/W time..|
|Latency||HDD has higher latency.||SSD has lower latency.|
|I/O operations per second||HDD supports fewer I/O operations per second.||SSD supports more I/O operations per second.|
|Fragmentation||HDD has fragmentation.||SSD do not has fragmentation.|
|Weight||HDD is heavier in weight.||SSD is lighter in weight.|
|Size||HDD is larger in size.||SSD is more compact in size.|
|Data Transfer||In HDD the data transfer is sequential.||In SSD the data transfer is random access.|
|Reliability||HDD is less reliable due to possibility of mechanical failure, like head crash and susceptibility to strong magnets.||SSD is more reliable.|
|Cost||HDD is cheaper per unit storage.||SSD is costlier per unit storage.|
|Time of Release||HDD is older and more traditional.||SSD is newer to use.|
|Noise||HDD can produce noise due to mechanical movements.||SSD does not produces noise.|
- Difference between Alpha and Beta Testing
- HTML vs XML
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Difference between :focus and :active selector
- Computer Organization | Cache Coherence Protocols
- Difference between an Iterator and ListIterator in Java
- Difference between Boxing and Unboxing in C#
- Delegates vs Interfaces in C#
- Difference between String and Character array in Java
- Difference between the Constructors and Methods
- Software Engineering | Differences between Sanity Testing and Smoke Testing
- Software Engineering | Differences between Coupling and Cohesion
- Software Engineering | Comparison between Regression Testing and Re-Testing
- Differences between Procedural and Object Oriented Programming
- Software Engineering | Differences between defect, bug and failure
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.