Similarities between RAM and HDD :
- Both are used for storage of data.
- Both are physical components of the computer machine.
Differences between RAM and HDD :
|Full Form||RAM stands for Random Access Memory.||HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive.|
|Also known as||RAM is also known as primary memory.||HDD is also known as secondary memory.|
|Components||RAM does not contains, mechanical parts, only electronical parts like transistors.||HDD contains moving mechanical parts, like the arm.|
|R/W Time||RAM has shorter R/W time.||HDD has longer R/W time.|
|Memory Access||In RAM each and every element takes same time to be accessed.||In HDD different elements take different time to be accessed.|
|Size||In a system the RAM is smaller than the HDD.||In a system the HDD is smaller than the RAM.|
|Cost||RAM is costlier per unit storage.||HDD is cheaper per unit storage.|
|Noise||RAM does not produces noise.||HDD can produce noise due to mechanical movements.|
|Duration of Data||Data stored in RAM is temporary. It remembers as long as it has electricity, i.e. the power is on.||Data stored in HDD is permanent, i.e. it retains data even after shutdown.|
|Speed of Computer||Inadequate RAM slows down the speed of the computer.||HDD does not affect the speed of the computer.|
- Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Secondary memory
- Difference between Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Difference between Random Access Memory (RAM) and Content Addressable Memory (CAM)
- Random Access Memory (RAM) and Read Only Memory (ROM)
- Different Types of RAM (Random Access Memory )
- Difference between Uniform Memory Access (UMA) and Non-uniform Memory Access (NUMA)
- Difference between Simultaneous and Hierarchical Access Memory Organisations
- Direct memory access with DMA controller 8257/8237
- Difference between Virtual memory and Cache memory
- Difference between Byte Addressable Memory and Word Addressable Memory
- Difference between Volatile Memory and Non-Volatile Memory
- Difference between Memory based and Register based Addressing Modes
- Disk Scheduling Algorithms
- FCFS Disk Scheduling Algorithms
- C-SCAN Disk Scheduling Algorithm
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.