There are five generation of Programming languages.They are:
First Generation Languages :
These are low-level languages like machine language.
Second Generation Languages :
These are low-level assembly languages used in kernels and hardware drives.
Third Generation Languages :
Fourth Generation Languages :
These are languages that consist of statements that are similar to statements in the human language. These are used mainly in database programming and scripting. Example of these languages include Perl, Python, Ruby, SQL, MatLab(MatrixLaboratory).
Fifth Generation Languages :
These are the programming languages that have visual tools to develop a program. Examples of fifth generation language include Mercury, OPS5, and Prolog.
The first two generations are called low level languages. The next three generations are called high level languages.
This article is contributed by Paduchuri Manideep. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or email your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Introduction to Programming Languages
- A Categorical List of programming languages
- Format specifiers in different Programming Languages
- Print "GeeksforGeeks" in 10 different programming languages
- Intermediate Code Generation in Compiler Design
- Difference between High Level and Low level languages
- The "Hello World" To Programming
- Use of FLAG in programming
- Interesting Facts in C Programming | Set 2
- How to Create a Programming Language using Python?
- Logarithm tricks for Competitive Programming
- How to read Competitive Programming Questions?
- Why is programming important for first year or school students?
- The complete History of Java Programming Language
- AKTU 1st Year Sem 2 Solved Paper 2015-16 | COMP. SYSTEM & C PROGRAMMING | Sec A
- AKTU 1st Year Sem 2 Solved Paper 2015-16 | COMP. SYSTEM & C PROGRAMMING | Sec B
- AKTU 1st Year Sem 2 Solved Paper 2015-16 | COMP. SYSTEM & C PROGRAMMING | Sec C
- AKTU 1st Year Sem 1 Solved Paper 2016-17 | COMP. SYSTEM & C PROGRAMMING | Sec A
- AKTU 1st Year Sem 1 Solved Paper 2016-17 | COMP. SYSTEM & C PROGRAMMING | Sec C
- AKTU 1st Year Sem 2 Solved Paper 2016-17 | COMP. SYSTEM & C PROGRAMMING | Sec A