Selenium Python is one of the great tools for testing automation. These days most of the web apps are using AJAX techniques. When a page is loaded by the browser, the elements within that page may load at different time intervals. This makes locating elements difficult: if an element is not yet present in the DOM, a locate function will raise an ElementNotVisibleException exception. Using waits, we can solve this issue. Waiting provides some slack between actions performed – mostly locating an element or any other operation with the element. Selenium Webdriver provides two types of waits – implicit & explicit. This article revolves around Explicit wait in Selenium Python.
An explicit wait is a code you define to wait for a certain condition to occur before proceeding further in the code. The extreme case of this is time.sleep(), which sets the condition to an exact time period to wait. There are some convenience methods provided that help you write code that will wait only as long as required. Explicit waits are achieved by using webdriverWait class in combination with expected_conditions. Let’s consider an example –
This waits up to 10 seconds before throwing a TimeoutException unless it finds the element to return within 10 seconds. WebDriverWait by default calls the ExpectedCondition every 500 milliseconds until it returns successfully.
Expected Conditions –
There are some common conditions that are frequently of use when automating web browsers. For example, presence_of_element_located, title_is, ad so on. one can check entire methods from here – Convenience Methods. Some of them are –
How to create an Explicit wait in Selenium Python ?
Explicit wait as defined would be the combination of WebDriverWait and Expected conditions. Let’s implement this on https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/ and wait 10 seconds before locating an element.
First it opens https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/ and then finds Courses link
It clicks on courses links and is redirected to https://practice.geeksforgeeks.org/
- Implicit Waits in Selenium Python
- Waits in Selenium Python
- Selenium Python Tricks
- Selenium Base Mini Project Using Python
- Python | SMS Bomber using Selenium
- Non blocking wait in selenium using Python
- Python | Automating Happy Birthday post on Facebook using Selenium
- How to access popup login window in selenium using Python
- Why do people prefer Selenium with Python?
- Like instagram pictures using Selenium | Python
- Python | Automate Google Search using Selenium
- How to install Selenium in Python
- Selenium Python Basics
- Python - Opening links using Selenium
- Flight-price checker using Python and Selenium
- How to take screenshot using Selenium in Python ?
- How to use close() and quit() method in Selenium Python ?
- How to get title of a webpage using Selenium in Python?
- How to get current_url using Selenium in Python?
- Python | page_source method in Selenium
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.