Here are some of the difficulties of Implementing Data Warehouses:
- Implementing a data warehouse is generally a massive effort that must be planned and executed according to established methods.
- Construction, administration, and quality control are the significant operational issues which arises with data warehousing.
- Some of the important and challenging consideration while implementing data warehouse are: the design, construction and implementation of the warehouse.
- The building of an enterprise-wide warehouse in a large organization is a major undertaking.
- Manual Data Processing can risk the correctness of the data being entered.
- An intensive enterprise is the administration of a data warehouse, which is proportional to the complexity and size of the warehouse.
- The complex nature of the administration should be understood by an organization that attempts to administer a data warehouse.
- There must be a flexibility to accept and integrate analytics to streamline the business intelligence process.
- To handle the evolutions, acquisition component and the warehouse’s schema should be updated.
- A significant issue in data warehousing is the quality control of data. The major concerns are: quality and consistency of data.
- Consistency remain significant issues for the database administrator.
- One of the major challenge that has given differences in naming, domain definitions, identification numbers is Melding data from heterogeneous and disparate sources.
- The data warehouse administrator must consider the possible interactions with elements of warehouse, every time when a source database changes.
- There should be accuracy of data. The efficiency and working of a warehouse is only a good as the data that support its operation.
- Usage projections should be estimated conservatively prior to construction of the data warehouse and should be revised continually to reflect current requirements.
- To accommodate addition and attrition of data sources, the warehouse should be designed. This also avoids a major redesign.
- Sources and source data will be evolve, and the warehouse must accommodate such changes.
- Another continual challenge is fitting of the available source data into the data model of the warehouse. This is because requirements and capabilities of the warehouse will change over time as there will be a continual rapid change in technology.
- A far broader skills will be required by administration of data warehouse for traditional database administration.
- Managing the data warehouse in large organization, design of the management function and selection of the management team for a database warehouse are some of the major tasks.
Some best practices for implementing a Data Warehouse:
- The data warehouse must be built incrementally.
- User expectations about he completed projects should be managed.
- It is important to be politically aware.
- There should be a build in adaptability.
- Developing a business/supplier relationship is the best practice.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Characteristics of Biological Data (Genome Data Management)
- Data Mining: Data Warehouse Process
- Data Mining: Data Attributes and Quality
- Difference between Data Lake and Data Warehouse
- Difference between Data Warehouse and Data Mart
- Difference between Data Privacy and Data Protection
- Difference between Data Warehousing and Data Mining
- Types of Sources of Data in Data Mining
- Difference between Data Privacy and Data Security
- Data Architecture Design and Data Management
- Data Reduction in Data Mining
- Data Transformation in Data Mining
- Data Abstraction and Data Independence
- Data Preprocessing in Data Mining
- Data Mining
- Data Warehousing
- Data Mining | Set 2
- What is Structured Data?
- What is Unstructured Data?
- What is Semi-structured data?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.