For representing floating point numbers, we use float, double and long double.
What’s the difference ?
double has 2x more precision then float.
float is a 32 bit IEEE 754 single precision Floating Point Number1 bit for the sign, (8 bits for the exponent, and 23* for the value), i.e. float has 7 decimal digits of precision.
double is a 64 bit IEEE 754 double precision Floating Point Number (1 bit for the sign, 11 bits for the exponent, and 52* bits for the value), i.e. double has 15 decimal digits of precision.
Let’s take a example(example taken from here) :
For a quadratic equation x2 – 4.0000000 x + 3.9999999 = 0, the exact roots to 10 significant digits are, r1 = 2.000316228 and r2 = 1.999683772
roots of equation x2 - 4.0000000 x + 3.9999999 = 0 are : for float values: 2.00000 2.00000 for double values: 2.00032 1.99968
This article is contributed by Mandeep Singh. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- C/C++ program to find the size of int, float, double and char
- Modulus of two float or double numbers
- What is the difference between single quoted and double quoted declaration of char array?
- Difference between Single Precision and Double Precision
- Difference between Single Bus Structure and Double Bus Structure
- Function Overloading and float in C++
- Assigning an integer to float and comparison in C/C++
- Comparison of a float with a value in C
- gcvt() | Convert float value to string in C
- <cfloat> float.h in C/C++ with Examples
- Double Pointer (Pointer to Pointer) in C
- Double forking to prevent Zombie process
- C program to print a string without any quote (singe or double) in the program
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference Between malloc() and calloc() with Examples
- Difference between "int main()" and "int main(void)" in C/C++?
Improved By : msdeep14