Virtual Private Network (VPN):
VPN is for virtual private networks, is a network type that is a private network but virtual. By applying VPN we can use public network as a private network as VPN is a tool of handling encryption, integrity protection and certification or authentication. It emulates a private network over a public network. This allows users to remotely access a private network. Unlike MPLS, In VPN, routing divisions and traffic are handled by the customers. In VPN, all OSI layers are required to make a VPN functional.
Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS):
MPLS is for Multi-protocol Label Switching, is a crucial data-carrying system. Its capabilities are quite much like the packet-switched network and circuit-switched-switched network, in which it simulates the some features of a circuit-switched network at packet-switched network. In MPLS, label switching method is used to assign each packet with a number or label. The label or number on each packet plays an important role in packet forwarding process. MPLS operates on the layer 2 and layer 3 of OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) model. MPLS is a higher reliable technology since, it assures the Quality of Service (QoS).
Difference between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS):
|1.||MPLS supports multi-point technique.||Whereas VPN also supports multi-point technique as well as point-to-point technique.|
|2.||The cost of MPLS technology is higher as compared to VPN.||While the cost of VPN is low comparatively.|
|3.||MPLS does not operate encryption.||While VPN exploits encryption.|
|4.||MPLS operates on OSI layer 2 and layer 3.||While here, all OSI layers are required to make a VPN functional.|
|5.||MPLS is a high reliable technology comparatively because it assures the quality of service.||Whereas VPN is also reliable technology for the delay sensitive traffic.|
|6.||In MPLS, routing divisions and traffic are handled by the service provider.||While in VPN, customers handle the routing divisions and traffic.|
|7.||In MPLS, cloud-based services are limited available.||While in VPN, cloud-based services are available wide range.|
- How does Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Routing work ?
- Difference Between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Proxy
- Types of Virtual Private Network (VPN) and its Protocols
- Difference between Circuit switching and Message switching
- Difference between Circuit Switching and Packet Switching
- Circuit Switching in Computer Network
- Packet Switching and Delays in Computer Network
- Difference between Public and Private in C++ with Example
- Difference between Private key and Public key
- Difference between Private and Public IP addresses
- Difference between Virtual function and Pure virtual function in C++
- Difference between Virtual Machines and Containers
- Difference between Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- Difference between Network and Internet
- Difference between Network OS and Distributed OS
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.