Virtual Private Network (VPN):
VPN is for virtual private networks, is a network type that is a private network but virtual. By applying VPN we can use public network as a private network as VPN is a tool of handling encryption, integrity protection and certification or authentication. It emulates a private network over a public network. This allows users to remotely access a private network. Unlike MPLS, In VPN, routing divisions and traffic are handled by the customers. In VPN, all OSI layers are required to make a VPN functional.
Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS):
MPLS is for Multi-protocol Label Switching, is a crucial data-carrying system. Its capabilities are quite much like the packet-switched network and circuit-switched-switched network, in which it simulates the some features of a circuit-switched network at packet-switched network. In MPLS, label switching method is used to assign each packet with a number or label. The label or number on each packet plays an important role in packet forwarding process. MPLS operates on the layer 2 and layer 3 of OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) model. MPLS is a higher reliable technology since, it assures the Quality of Service (QoS).
Difference between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS):
|1.||MPLS supports multi-point technique.||Whereas VPN also supports multi-point technique as well as point-to-point technique.|
|2.||The cost of MPLS technology is higher as compared to VPN.||While the cost of VPN is low comparatively.|
|3.||MPLS does not operate encryption.||While VPN exploits encryption.|
|4.||MPLS operates on OSI layer 2 and layer 3.||While here, all OSI layers are required to make a VPN functional.|
|5.||MPLS is a high reliable technology comparatively because it assures the quality of service.||Whereas VPN is also reliable technology for the delay sensitive traffic.|
|6.||In MPLS, routing divisions and traffic are handled by the service provider.||While in VPN, customers handle the routing divisions and traffic.|
|7.||In MPLS, cloud-based services are limited available.||While in VPN, cloud-based services are available wide range.|
|8.||In MPLS, every blocked sites can be unblocked.||While in VPN, not every blocked sites can be unblocked.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- How does Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Routing work ?
- Difference Between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Proxy
- Types of Virtual Private Network (VPN) and its Protocols
- Difference between Circuit switching and Message switching
- Difference between Circuit Switching and Packet Switching
- Circuit Switching in Computer Network
- Packet Switching and Delays in Computer Network
- Virtual Circuit in Computer Network
- Difference between Message and Packet Switching
- Difference between Private key and Public key
- Difference between Public and Private in C++ with Example
- Difference between Public and Private blockchain
- Difference between Private and Public IP addresses
- Difference between Virtual function and Pure virtual function in C++
- Difference between Chatbot and Virtual Assistant
- Difference between Virtual Machines and Containers
- Difference between Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- Difference between Parallel Virtual Machine (PVM) and Message Passing Interface (MPI)
- Difference Between Public Cloud and Private Cloud
- Difference between Cellular and Ad hoc network
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : pp_pankaj