Introduction to Virtual Private Network (VPN)
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It provides inline privacy and anonymity by building a private network from a public internet connection. VPN masks your internet protocol address so your online actions are virtually untraceable. VPN creates a virtual tunnel to transfer data. A VPN creates an encrypted tunnel to protect your personal data and communications, hide your IP address, and let you safely use public Wi-Fi networks. Moreover, the privacy and security provided by VPN are far better than Wi-Fi hotspots.
Types of Virtual Private Network: Generally, we can classify VPNs into the following types,
Features of VPN :
- VPN provides plentiful Server location.
- It also provides anonymous DNS servers.
- VPNs are generally cost-effective.
- VPN supports Router.
- The VPN is highly encrypted and secure.
- Along with VPN, we get secure VPN protocols.
- It provides safety against DNS Leak.
- The VPN providers also offer Cross-Platform Compatible Apps.
Applications of VPN :
- VPN can easily bypass geographic restrictions on websites or streaming audio and video.
- Using a VPN, we can protect ourselves from snooping from untrustworthy Wi-Fi hotspots.
- One can gain privacy online by hiding one’s true location.
- One can protect themselves from being logged while torrenting.
What does a VPN hide? A VPN can hide a lot of information –
- User’s Browsing History
- User’s IP address and location
- User’s location for streaming
- User’s device
- User’s web activity — to preserve internet freedom
How to choose a VPN? In order to choose the perfect VPN, one must ask the given questions from their VPN providers as follows.
- How much privacy the VPN is providing to you?
- Are you able to run all security protocols?
- Do they set any limits on your data?
- Where is the server of your VPN located?
- Are all your devices able to access VPN?
- What is the cost of a VPN?
Advantages of VPN :
- It Provides you Anonymity.
- It Avoid the Geo-Restrictions.
- It has security Protection from Cyberattacks.
- It will Prevent Bandwidth Throttling.
- It will help you to Improve Gaming Experience.
- It has capability to Bypass Firewall.
Disadvantages of VPN :
- It can Slow down the Internet Speed.
- It has Privacy Issues.
- It might be Connection droppings while you will be connected over VPN.
- It might have Configuration difficulties.
- It has Legality Issues.