Prerequisite – Computer Network | Switching techniques
Both the Circuit switching and Message switching are the methods used to connect different devices with each other. The main difference between Circuit switching and Message switching is that Circuit Switching is done by setting a physical path between two systems while Message switching works on Store and Forward method. In message Switching, data is first stored by one node then forward to another node to transfer the data to another system.
Difference between Circuit switching and Message switching:
|S.NO||Circuit Switching||Message Switching|
|1.||Circuit Switching is done by setting a physical path between two systems.||In message Switching, data is first stored by one node then forward to another node to transfer the data to another system.|
|2.||In circuit switching, data is not stored.||In message Switching, data is first stored, then forwarded to the next node.|
|3.||Circuit Switching does not need dedicated physical path.||Message switching need dedicated physical path.|
|4.||Circuit Switching is a Geographical addressing.||Message Switching is a Hierarchical addressing.|
|5.||Circuit Switching is costlier than message Switching.||The cost of message switching is less than circuit switching.|
|6.||Circuit switching routing is manual type routing.||Message Switching routing is not manual type routing.|
|7.||Circuit switching reserves the full bandwidth in advance.||Message Switching does not reserve the entire bandwidth in advance.|
|8.||In circuit switching, charge depend on time and distance.||In message switching, charge is based on the number of bytes and distance.|
|9.||Congestion occurs for per minute in circuit switching.||In message switching, no congestion or very less congestion occurs.|
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Difference between Circuit Switching and Packet Switching
- Circuit Switching in Computer Network
- Message switching techniques
- Difference between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS)
- Pipelining in Packet Switching
- Packet Switching and Delays in Computer Network
- How does Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Routing work ?
- Difference between combinational and sequential circuit
- Difference between Pipes and Message Queues
- Solving multiplexer circuit
- Virtual Circuit in Computer Network
- Message Authentication Codes
- How message authentication code works?
- Message Digest in Information security
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.