Ring counter is a type of counter composed of flip-flops connected into a shift register. It is of two types:
1. Straight Ring Counter :
Straight ring counter is a type of ring counter in which the output of the last flip-flop is connected to the input of the first flip-flip. It circulates a single ‘0’ or ‘1’ bit around the ring.
2. Twisted Ring Counter :
Twisted ring counter is a types of ring counter in which the complement of output of the last shift register is connected to the input of the first register. It circulates a stream of 1s followed by 0s around the ring.
Difference between Straight and Twisted Ring Counter:
|STRAIGHT RING COUNTER||TWISTED RING COUNTER|
|It connects the output of the last shift register to the input of first shift register.||It connects the complement of output of the last shift register to the input of the first register.|
|It is known as One hot counter.||It is known as Walking ring counter.|
|It circulates a single bit (0 or 1) around the ring.||It circulates stream of 1 followed by stream of 0.|
|PRESET is used in first shift register.||PRESET is not used in twisted ring counter.|
|CLEAR is used for last (n-1) flip-flops.||CLEAR is used for all flip-flips in it.|
|It is used in successive approximation and stepper motor control.||It is used in phase shift or function generator.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) and Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cables
- Difference between Coaxial Cable and Twisted Pair Cable
- Difference between Twisted Pair Cable and Optical Fiber Cable
- Difference between Twisted pair cable, Co-axial cable and Optical fiber cable
- Mod 2 Ring Counter (with D flip-flop)
- Ring Counter in Digital Logic
- Difference between Star and Ring Topology
- Difference between Ring Topology and Mesh Topology
- Difference between Token Bus and Token Ring Network
- Difference between Token ring and Ethernet
- Difference between Ring Topology and Bus Topology in Computer Networks
- Difference between Ring Topology and Tree Topology
- Difference between Sentinel and Counter Controlled Loop in C
- Differences between Synchronous and Asynchronous Counter
- Advantages and Disadvantages of ring topology
- Token Ring frame format
- Problems with Token Ring
- Minimum length of Token Ring
- Ripple Counter in Digital Logic
- n-bit Johnson Counter in Digital Logic
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.