Prerequisite – Types of Transmission Media
1. Twisted Pair Cable :
Twisted Pair Cable is a type of wiring in which two conductors are twisted together to form a circuit for transmission purpose. It is formed by combining two separate insulated copper wires. Metallic conducting wire present in twisted pair cable is used in transfer of data in the form of electric signals. Twisted pair cable is the cheapest cable available among all the cables used in Local Area Network. Twisted pair cable are commonly used in data networks and wire shielding.
2. Optical Fiber Cable :
Optical Fiber Cable is a category of guided media that is used for long distance transmission and high-performance data networking. Optical fiber cable constitutes of very thin glass fibers clustered in a single cable. In optical fiber cable, glass fiber helps in transmitting the signals in the form of pulses of light. Optical fiber cables are mostly used in long distance networks and huge volume data centers.
The difference between Twisted Pair Cable and Optical Fiber Cable are as follows:
|S.No.||Twisted Pair Cable||Optical Fiber Cable|
|1||In twisted pair cable, transmission of signals takes place through metallic conducting wire.||In optical fiber cable, transmission of signals happens via glass fiber.|
|2.||Twisted pair cable has large diameter in comparison to optical fiber cable.||Optical fiber cable has small diameter as it is thin and flexible.|
|3.||In twisted pair cables, attenuation is very large.||While in optical fiber cables, attenuation is very small.|
|4.||Twisted pair cable is easy and simple to install and implement.||The installation and implementation of optical fiber cables is extremely tough.|
|5.||Twisted pair cables are used for wire shielding and data networks.||Optical fiber cable is generally suited for long distance networks among cities and countries.|
|6.||Twisted pair cable is comparatively inexpensive.||While optical fiber cable is expensive as it has great performance and capacity.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Twisted pair cable, Co-axial cable and Optical fiber cable
- Difference between Coaxial Cable and Twisted Pair Cable
- Difference between Optical Fiber and Coaxial Cable
- Difference between Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) and Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cables
- Difference between Fiber optic cable and Copper wire
- Types of Joints in Optical Fiber
- What is STP(Shielded Twisted Pair)?
- What is UTP(Unshielded Twisted Pair)?
- Difference between Straight Ring Counter and Twisted Ring Counter
- Difference between ADSL and Cable Modem
- Difference between Magnetic Disk and Optical Disk
- Difference between Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and Magnetic Ink Character Reader (MICR)
- Difference between Satellite Communication and Optical Communication
- Difference between Optical Mouse and Laser Mouse
- Fiber Optics and Types
- Hybrid Fiber Coaxial (HFC) Access Network Management
- Fiber Optics Broadband Connection
- Cable TV for Data Transfer
- Probabilistic shortest path routing algorithm for optical networks
- Synchronous Optical Network (SONET)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.