Both MAC Address and IP Address are used to uniquely defines a device on the internet. NIC Card’s Manufacturer provides the MAC Address, on the other hand Internet Service Provider provides IP Address.
The main difference between MAC and IP address is that, MAC Address is used to ensure the physical address of computer. It uniquely identifies the devices on a network. While IP address are used to uniquely identifies the connection of network with that device take part in a network.
Let’s see the difference between MAC Address and IP Address:
|S.NO||MAC Address||IP Address|
|1.||MAC Address stands for Media Access Control Address.||IP Address stands for Internet Protocol Address.|
|2.||MAC Address is a six byte hexadecimal address.||IP Address is either four byte (IPv4) or six byte (IPv6) address.|
|3.||A device attached with MAC Address can retrieve by ARP protocol.||A device attached with IP Address can retrieve by RARP protocol.|
|4.||NIC Card’s Manufacturer provides the MAC Address.||Internet Service Provider provides IP Address.|
|5.||MAC Address is used to ensure the physical address of computer.||IP Address is the logical address of the computer.|
|6.||MAC Address operates in the data link layer.||IP Address operates in the network layer.|
|7.||MAC Address helps in simply identifying the device.||IP Address identifies the connection of the device on the network.|
|8.||MAC Address of computer cannot be changed with time and environment.||IP Address modifies with the time and environment.|
- Difference Between Network Address Translation (NAT) and Port Address Translation (PAT)
- Difference between Static and Dynamic IP address
- Difference between Compile Time and Execution Time address binding
- Difference between Load Time and Execution Time address binding
- Difference between Compile Time and Load Time address Binding
- Finding DBA from given IP address
- Concept Of Address Split in OS
- Finding IP address of a URL in Java
- Extracting MAC address using Python
- Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Three address code in Compiler
- Alternate method to find DBA from given IP address
- Introduction of MAC Address in Computer Network
- Types of Network Address Translation (NAT)
- C Program to display hostname and IP address
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.