Data Compression is a technique in which the size of data is reduced without loss of information. Lossy compression and Lossless compression are the categories of data compression method.
The main difference between the two compression techniques (lossy compression and Lossless compression) is that, The lossy compression technique does not restored the data in its original form, after decompression on the other hand lossless compression restores and rebuilt the data in its original form, after decompression.
Difference between Lossy Compression and Lossless Compression:
|S.NO||Lossy Compression||Lossless Compression|
|1.||Lossy compression is the method which eliminate the data which is not noticeable.||While Lossless Compression does not eliminate the data which is not noticeable.|
|2.||In Lossy compression, A file does not restore or rebuilt in its original form.||While in Lossless Compression, A file can be restored in its original form.|
|3.||In Lossy compression, Data’s quality is compromised.||But Lossless Compression does not compromise the data’s quality.|
|4.||Lossy compression reduces the size of data.||But Lossless Compression does not reduce the size of data.|
|5.||Algorithms used in Lossy compression are: Transform coding, Discrete Cosine Transform, Discrete Wavelet Transform, fractal compression etc.||Algorithms used in Lossless compression are: Run Length Encoding, Lempel-Ziv-Welch, Huffman Coding, Arithmetic encoding etc.|
|6.||Lossy compression is used in Images, audio, video.||Lossless Compression is used in Text, images, sound.|
|7.||Lossy compression has more data-holding capacity.||Lossless Compression has less data-holding capacity than Lossy compression technique.|
|8.||Lossy compression is also termed as irreversible compression.||Lossless Compression is also termed as reversible compression.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Lossless and Lossy Join Decomposition
- Difference between Inter and Intra Frame Compression
- PGP - Compression
- Compression of IPv6 address
- LZW (Lempel–Ziv–Welch) Compression technique
- DjVu Compression in Computer Network
- Data Compression With Arithmetic Coding
- Shannon-Fano Algorithm for Data Compression
- Difference between ELT and ETL
- Difference between C and C#
- Difference between T-SQL and PL-SQL
- Difference between H.323 and SIP
- Difference between GSM and LTE
- Difference between AIX and IBM i
- Difference Between SMO and SEO
- Difference between IoT and M2M
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between MP4 and MP3
- Difference between DFA and NFA
- Difference between DDR 5 and DDR 3
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : ashushrma378