A network consists of two or more computers that are linked in order to share all form of resources including communication.
Both LAN and WLAN networks are interrelated and share moreover common characteristics.
Let’s discuss about LAN and WLAN:
|LAN stands for Local Area Network.||WLAN stands for Wireless Local Area Network.|
|LAN connections include both wired and wireless connections.||WLAN connections are completely wireless.|
|LAN network is a collection of computers or other such network devices in a particular location that are connected together by communication elements or network elements.||WLAN network is a collection of computers or other such network devices in a particular location that are connected together wirelessly by communication elements or network elements.|
|LAN is free from external attacks like interruption of signals, cyber criminal attacks and so on.||Whereas, WLAN is vulnerable to external attacks.|
|LAN in secure.||WLAN is not secure.|
|LAN network has lost its popularity due to the arrival of latest wireless networks.||WLAN is popular.|
|Wired LAN needs physical access like connecting the wires to the switches or routers.||Work on connecting wires to the switches and routers are neglected.|
|In LAN, devices are connected locally with Ethernet cable.||For WLAN Ethernet cable is not necessary.|
|Mobility limited.||Outstanding mobility.|
|It may or may not vary with external factors like environment and quality of cables.||It varies due to external factors like environment and quality of cables. Most of the external factors affect the signal transmission.|
|LAN is less expensive.||WLAN is more expensive.|
|Example: Computers connected in a college.||Example: Laptops, cellphones, tablets connected to a wireless router or hotspot.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- WLAN Full Form
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between LAN and VLAN
- Difference between Ethernet and LAN
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Types of area networks - LAN, MAN and WAN
- LAN Technologies | ETHERNET
- Program to remotely Power On a PC over the internet using the Wake-on-LAN protocol.
- Virtual LAN (VLAN)
- LAN Full Form
- Types of Virtual LAN (VLAN)
- Soft Real-time Communication in LAN
- Hidden Station Problem (HSP) in Wireless LAN
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
- Difference and similarities between HashSet, LinkedHashSet and TreeSet in Java
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.