Prerequisite – Types of area networks – LAN, MAN and WAN
Local Area Network (LAN):
LAN is a group of network devices which allow the communication between connected devices. The private ownership has the control over the local area network rather than public. LAN has short propagation delay than MAN as well as WAN. It covers the smallest area such as: College, School Hospital and so on.
Metropolitan Area Network (MAN):
MAN covers the largest area than LAN such as: Small towns, City etc. MAN connects 2 or a lot of computers that area unit apart however resides within the same or completely different cities. MAN is expensive and should or might not be owned by one organization.
Let’s see the difference between LAN and MAN :
|1.||LAN stands for Local Area Network.||Whereas MAN stands for Metropolitan Area Network.|
|2.||LAN’s ownership is private.||But MAN’s ownership can be private or public.|
|3.||The speed of LAN is high(more than MAN).||While the speed of MAN is average.|
|4.||The propagation delay is short in LAN(less than MAN).||Whereas the propagation delay in MAN is average or moderate.|
|5.||There is less congestion in LAN(local area network).||While there is more congestion in MAN(Metropolitan Area Network).|
|6.||There is more fault tolerance in LAN.||While there is less fault tolerance.|
|7.||LAN’s design and maintenance is easy.||While it’s design and maintenance is difficult than LAN.|
|8.||LAN’s cost is high but less than MAN.||Whereas MAN’s cost is higher than LAN.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Types of area networks - LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN and VLAN
- Difference between Ethernet and LAN
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN and WLAN
- Difference between MAN and WAN
- LAN Technologies | ETHERNET
- Program to remotely Power On a PC over the internet using the Wake-on-LAN protocol.
- Virtual LAN (VLAN)
- LAN Full Form
- Types of Virtual LAN (VLAN)
- Soft Real-time Communication in LAN
- Hidden Station Problem (HSP) in Wireless LAN
- MAN Full Form in Computer Networking
- MAN Full Form
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait, GoBackN and Selective Repeat
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : manmeetjuneja5