Prerequisite – Types of area networks – LAN, MAN and WAN
Local Area Network (LAN):
LAN is a group of network devices which allow the communication between connected devices. The private ownership has the control over the local area network rather than public. LAN has short propagation delay than MAN as well as WAN. It covers the smallest area such as: College, School Hospital and so on.
Wide Area Network (WAN):
WAN covers the large area than LAN as well as MAN such as: Country/Continent etc. WAN is expensive and should or might not be owned by one organization. PSTN or Satellite medium are used for wide area network.
Let’s see the difference between LAN and WAN:
|1.||LAN stands for Local Area Network.||Whereas WAN stands for Wide Area Network.|
|2.||LAN’s ownership is private.||But WAN’s ownership can be private or public.|
|3.||The speed of LAN is high(more than WAN).||While the speed of WAN is slower than LAN.|
|4.||The propagation delay is short in LAN.||Whereas the propagation delay in WAN is long(longer than LAN).|
|5.||There is less congestion in LAN(local area network).||While there is more congestion in WAN(Wide Area Network).|
|6.||There is more fault tolerance in LAN.||While there is less fault tolerance in WAN.|
|7.||LAN’s design and maintenance is easy.||While it’s design and maintenance is difficult than LAN.|
|8.||LAN covers small area i.e. within the building.||While WAN covers large geographical area.|
|9.||LAN operates on the principle of broadcasting.||While WAN works on the principle of point to point.|
|10.||Transmission medium used in LAN is co-axial or UTP cable.||Whereas WAN uses PSTN or satellite link as a transmission or communication medium.|
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Traditional WAN and SD WAN
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- Difference between MAN and WAN
- Difference between WAN and WWAN
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between LAN and VLAN
- Difference between Ethernet and LAN
- Difference between LAN and WLAN
- Difference and Similarities between PHP and C
- Difference between Stop and Wait protocol and Sliding Window protocol
- Similarities and Difference between Java and C++
- Difference between Yaacomo and and XAP
- Difference between VoIP and and POTS
- Difference between ++*p, *p++ and *++p
- Difference Between DOS and Windows
- Difference between User Level thread and Kernel Level thread
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Priority Inversion and Priority Inheritance
- What’s difference between Linux and Android ?
- What’s difference between header files "stdio.h" and "stdlib.h" ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.