Artificial Intelligence: Artificial Intelligence is basically the mechanism to incorporate human intelligence into machines through a set of rules(algorithm). AI is a combination of two words: “Artificial” meaning something made by humans or non-natural things and “Intelligence” meaning the ability to understand or think accordingly. Another definition could be that “AI is basically the study of training your machine(computers) to mimic a human brain and it’s thinking capabilities”. AI focuses on 3 major aspects(skills): learning, reasoning and self-correction to obtain maximum efficiency possible.
Machine Learning: Machine Learning is basically the study/process which provides the system(computer) to learn automatically on its own through experiences it had and improve accordingly without being explicitly programmed. ML is an application or subset of AI. ML focuses on the development of programs so that it can access data to use it for themselves. The entire process makes observations on data to identify the possible patterns being formed and make better future decisions as per the examples provided to them. The major aim of ML is to allow the systems to learn by themselves through the experience without any kind of human intervention or assistance.
Deep Learning: Deep Learning is basically a sub-part of the broader family of Machine Learning which makes use of Neural Networks(similar to the neurons working in our brain) to mimic human brain-like behavior. DL algorithms focus on information processing patterns mechanism to possibly identify the patterns just like our human brain does and classifies the information accordingly. DL works on larger sets of data when compared to ML and prediction mechanism is self-administered by machines.
Below is a table of differences between Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Deep Learning:
|Artificial Intelligence||Machine Learning||Deep Learning|
|AI stands for Artificial Intelligence, and is basically the study/process which enables machines to mimic human behaviour through particular algorithm.||ML stands for Machine Learning, and is the study that uses statistical methods enabling machines to improve with experience.||DL stands for Deep Learning, and is the study that makes use of Neural Networks(similar to neurons present in human brain) to imitate functionality just like a human brain.|
|AI is the broader family consisting of ML and DL as it’s components.||ML is the subset of AI.||DL is the subset of ML.|
|AI is a computer algorithm which exhibits intelligence through decision making.||ML is an AI algorithm which allows system to learn from data.||DL is a ML algorithm that uses deep(more than one layer) neural networks to analyze data and provide output accordingly.|
|Search Trees and much complex math is involved in AI.||If you have a clear idea about the logic(math) involved in behind and you can visualize the complex functionalities like K-Mean, Support Vector Machines, etc., then it defines the ML aspect.||If you are clear about the math involved in it but don’t have idea about the features, so you break the complex functionalities into linear/lower dimension features by adding more layers, then it defines the DL aspect.|
|The aim is to basically increase chances of success and not accuracy.||The aim is to increase accuracy not caring much about the success ratio.||It attains the highest rank in terms of accuracy when it is trained with large amount of data.|
|Three broad categories/types Of AI are: Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI), Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) and Artificial Super Intelligence (ASI)||Three broad categories/types Of ML are: Supervised Learning, Unsupervised Learning and Reinforcement Learning||DL can be considered as neural networks with a large number of parameters layers lying in one of the four fundamental network architectures: Unsupervised Pre-trained Networks, Convolutional Neural Networks, Recurrent Neural Networks and Recursive Neural Networks|
|The efficiency Of AI is basically the efficiency provided by ML and DL respectively.||Less efficient than DL as it can’t work for longer dimensions or higher amount of data.||More powerful than ML as it can easily work for larger sets of data.|
|Examples of AI applications include: Google’s AI-Powered Predictions, Ridesharing Apps Like Uber and Lyft, Commercial Flights Use an AI Autopilot, etc.||Examples of ML applications include: Virtual Personal Assistants: Siri, Alexa, Google, etc., Email Spam and Malware Filtering.||Examples of DL applications include: Sentiment based news aggregation, Image analysis and caption generation, etc.|
- Artificial intelligence vs Machine Learning vs Deep Learning
- Difference between Machine learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Difference Between Artificial Intelligence and Business Intelligence
- Difference Between Artificial Intelligence and Human Intelligence
- Difference Between Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- How Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning(ML) Transforming Endpoint Security?
- How Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Will Impact Global Industries in 2020?
- Machine Learning - Types of Artificial Intelligence
- Learning to learn Artificial Intelligence | An overview of Meta-Learning
- Need of Data Structures and Algorithms for Deep Learning and Machine Learning
- Difference Between Business Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Difference Between Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- Difference between Artificial Intelligence and Automation
- Difference Between Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence
- Introduction to Multi-Task Learning(MTL) for Deep Learning
- Artificial Intelligence | An Introduction
- Turing Test in Artificial Intelligence
- Chinese Room Argument in Artificial Intelligence
- Top 5 best Programming Languages for Artificial Intelligence field
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.