Generally, Octal Number representation is expressed by subscript 8 or octal (o). It has a base of 8 digits ranging from 0 to 7 (i.e., 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7). Arithmetic operations of octal numbers are also performed the same as decimal or binary arithmetic operations. The addition table for octal numbers is given as below:
With the help of the above table, we can perform following arithmetic Operations of Octal Numbers :
- Additions :
It can perform additions of octal numbers.
- Subtraction :
It can perform subtraction of octal numbers same as decimal number subtractions. But you can only borrow a number 7, which is the maximum digit allowed in octal number systems.
- Multiplications :
If the product is less than radix of octal (i.e, 8), then we take it as the result, else divide it by radix of octal (i.e., 8) and take the remainder as the LSB (least significant bit). The quotient is taken as carry in the next significant digit.
- Division :
It can be performed by following the rules of division of decimal numbers but the maximum allowed digit will be 7.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Arithmetic Operations of Binary Numbers
- Arithmetic Operations of Hexadecimal Numbers
- Basic Laws for Various Arithmetic Operations
- Program for Decimal to Octal Conversion
- Program for Octal to Decimal Conversion
- Overflow in Arithmetic Addition in Binary Number System
- DataFrame Operations in R
- Functionally Complete Operations
- Array Operations in R Programming
- Algebraic Operations on a Matrix in R
- Bitwise Operations on Digits of a Number
- Maximum strength in a Matrix after performing specified operations
- Various operations on Fibonacci nodes in a Singly Linked list
- Minimum number of operations required to make two strings equal
- Curzon Numbers
- Find the Nth Hogben Numbers
- Panarithmic numbers within a given range
- Group all co-prime numbers from 1 to N
- Maximise the sum of two Numbers using at most one swap between them
- How to increment letters like numbers in PHP ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.