Given a circle whose chord and tangent meet at a particular point. The angle in the alternate segment is given. The task here is to find the angle between the chord and the tangent.
Input: z = 48 Output: 48 degrees Input: z = 64 Output: 64 degrees
- Let, angle BAC is the given angle in the alternate segment.
- let, the angle between the chord and circle = angle CBY = z
- as line drawn from center on the tangent is perpendicular,
- so, angle OBC = 90-z
- as, OB = OC = radius of the circle
- so, angle OCB = 90-z
- now, in triangle OBC,
angle OBC + angle OCB + angle BOC = 180
angle BOC = 180 – (90-z) – (90-z)
angle BOC = 2z
- as angle at the circumference of a circle is half the angle at the centre subtended by the same arc,
so, angle BAC = z
- hence, angle BAC = angle CBY
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
The angle between tangent and the chord is 48 degrees
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important mathematical concepts for competitive programming with the Essential Maths for CP Course at a student-friendly price. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.