Amazon Interview Experience
Hello Coders, This is my Interview Experience for the position of SDE1 at Amazon (2019).
Round 1(Online Round): 2 Coding Questions and 28 MCQ’s
- Let 1 represent ‘A’, 2 represents ‘B’, etc. Given a digit sequence, count the number of possible decodings of the given digit sequence. (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/count-possible-decodings-given-digit-sequence/)
- Given Equation for num1, num2, and X in the form of a string, and you have to find the value of X in the string.
Ex: String is 100000+200000=X X will be 300000 String is 100000+X=500000 X will be 400000
I Solved both the coding Questions.
Be prepared with all pointer concepts and how to return the char string, etc.
Round 2(Algorithm Round): I was told to introduce myself. Then he directly went on to the question. The question was :
- Given a square chessboard of N x N size, the position of Knight and the destination is given. you need to find out the minimum steps a Knight will take to reach the Destination and print the path for the same. (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/minimum-steps-reach-target-knight/)
Initially, they give me a basic BFS solution that looks at all 8 K Knight modes that will take O (N * N) Time.
I was told that I had done well in the code as a wise decision maker. I don’t know what the interviewer was expecting. I was thinking of the A * Search Algorithm that discarded a particular combination but lost the solution (meaning it comes close to the solution in a very short time, used by Google Maps).
I did not expect to qualify for this cycle. But luckily I was called to the next round.
Round 3(Algorithm Round): The interviewer was very chill. In the beginning, I introduced myself to her, and then she introduced herself. I was supposed to give a brief description of any one of my Project(10 min).
- Given a linked list, write a function to reverse every k node. (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/reverse-a-list-in-groups-of-given-size/)
- Given a Binary Tree, find the deepest leaf node that is left child of its parent. (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/deepest-left-leaf-node-in-a-binary-tree/)
Round 4(Fundamental + Algorithm): Initially, I introduced myself. The interviewer was very calm. He asked me about my Subjects. Then the fundamental knowledge was checked in depth. Ex-
- Paging / Virtual Memory
- CPU Scheduling Algorithm
- Deadlock / Semaphore / Critical Section
- Working of OSI Layers(CN)
- What happens if I type ‘google.com’ as URL. Explain the whole process.
Round 5(Tech Round): The interviewer was a highly experienced person. Firstly I introduced myself. I was told to explain any one of my projects, and he told me that how will you improve the same project now.
Then he asked one tree question — I was feeling headache, and I was just smiling, the interviewer thought that I was familiar with this question and asked me that whether I am familiar with the question or not, and I said yes(even the question was not familiar to me but don’t this I was lucky at that time)
Then he swapped the question. And asked this –
I was supposed to just tell the Algorithm orally. Then he asked me about my interests.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon. Google and Microsoft Test Serieses.