Since there is no main() function in Python, when the command to run a python program is given to the interpreter, the code that is at level 0 indentation is to be executed. However, before doing that, it will define a few special variables. __name__ is one such special variable. If the source file is executed as the main program, the interpreter sets the __name__ variable to have a value “__main__”. If this file is being imported from another module, __name__ will be set to the module’s name.
__name__ is a built-in variable which evaluates to the name of the current module. Thus it can be used to check whether the current script is being run on its own or being imported somewhere else by combining it with if statement, as shown below.
Consider two separate files File1 and File2.
Now the interpreter is given the command to run File1.py. python File1.py Output : File1 __name__ = __main__ File1 is being run directly And then File2.py is run. python File2.py Output : File1 __name__ = File1 File1 is being imported File2 __name__ = __main__ File2 is being run directly
As seen above, when File1.py is run directly, the interpreter sets the __name__ variable as __main__ and when it is run through File2.py by importing, the __name__ variable is set as the name of the python script, i.e. File1. Thus, it can be said that if __name__ == “__main__” is the part of the program that runs when the script is run from the command line using a command like python File1.py.
This article is contributed by Harshit Agrawal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- __file__ (A Special variable) in Python
- Python | Print the initials of a name with last name in full
- Python IMDbPY – Getting Person name from searched name
- GUI application to search a country name from a given state or city name using Python
- Mathematical Functions in Python | Set 4 (Special Functions and Constants)
- Operations on Graph and Special Graphs using Networkx module | Python
- Python | Remove trailing/leading special characters from strings list
- Special Keys in Selenium Python
- tensorflow.math.special.spence() function in Python
- tensorflow.math.special.fresnel_sin() function in Python
- tensorflow.math.special.fresnel_cos() function in Python
- tensorflow.math.special.expint() function in Python
- tensorflow.math.special.dawsn() function in Python
- Python program to Count Uppercase, Lowercase, special character and numeric values using Regex
- Python - Reverse a words in a line and keep the special characters untouched
- Python | Set 6 (Command Line and Variable Arguments)
- Different ways to access Instance Variable in Python
- Python | Using variable outside and inside the class and method
- Python | Variable list slicing
- Python | Check if a variable is string