C is a procedural programming language. It was initially developed by Dennis Ritchie between 1969 and 1973. It was mainly developed as a system programming language to write operating system. The main features of C language include low-level access to memory, simple set of keywords, and clean style, these features make C language suitable for system programming like operating system or compiler development.
Learning C programming has lot of benefits, but the foremost thing in which it helps is to understand the underlying architecture of how things works?
Consider a situation where a person learns to drive a Car. In this modern era with advancement in technology, we have many options when it comes to buying car. There are cars with auto-driving mode, auto gear change features etc which reduces the manual overheads and makes driving the car easier. Suppose the person learns driving on a auto-gear change enabled car. After learning driving, the person applied for a driving licence for which he need to pass a driving test. The driving test is now on a manual car with no auto-gear change feature. The person was even not able to answer some basic questions related to gears as he was not even aware of it and eventually ended up getting disqualified.
Learning C has a similar benefit. If the person had learned driving on a manual car, he could have easily driven the automatic car as well. Similarly, if a person learns C programming first, it will help him to learn any modern programming language as well. As learning C help to understand a lot of underlying architecture of operating system. Like, pointers, working with memory locations etc.
Let us now look at some of the important advantages of learning C programming:
- C is a Middle-Level Language. The middle-level languages are somewhere between the Low-level machine understandable assembly languages and High-Level user friendly languages. Being a middle-level language, C reduces the gap between the low-level and high-level languages. It can be used for writing operating systems as well as doing application level programming.
- Helps to understand the fundamentals of Computer Theories. Most of the theories related to computers like Computer Networks, Compiler Designing, Computer Architecture, Operating Systems are based on C programming language and requires a good knowledge of C programming if you are working on them. In the modern high level languages, the machine level details are hidden from the user, so in order to work with CPU cache, memory, network adapters, learning C programming is a must.
- Fewer Libraries. C programming language has fewer libraries in comparison with other high-level languages. So, learning C programming also clears programming concepts to a great extent as you have to write lot of things from scratch. You will not be dependent on the programming language entirely for implementing some basic operations and implementing them on your own will also help you to build your analytical skills.
- C is very fast in terms of execution time. Programs written and compiled in C executes much faster than compared to any other programming language. C programming language is very fast in terms of execution as it does not have any additional processing overheads such as garbage collection or preventing memory leaks etc. The programmer must take care of these things on his own.
- Embedded Programming. C is extensively used in Embedded Programming. Embedded Programming is also referred to as micro-controller programming, where C program is used to control micro-controllers. Microcontrollers and embedded programming is widely used in auto-motives, Robotics, Hardwares etc.
Keeping the above things in mind, we have prepared an introductory course on C programming language to guide you through the basics following an intuitive environment so that you can practice alongside what you have learnt. Click the below button and start learning C programming today for free!