_(underscore) in Golang is known as the Blank Identifier. Identifiers are the user-defined name of the program components used for the identification purpose. Golang has a special feature to define and use the unused variable using Blank Identifier. Unused variables are those variables which are defined by the user throughout the program but he/she never make the use of these variables. These variables make the program almost unreadable. As you know, Golang is more concise and readable programming language so it doesn’t allow the programmer to define an unused variable if you do such, then the compiler will throw an error.
The real use of Blank Identifier comes when a function returns multiple values, but we need only a few values and want to discard some values. Basically, it tells the compiler that this variable is not needed and ignored it without any error. It hides the variable’s values and makes the program readable. So whenever you will assign a value to Bank Identifier it becomes unusable.
Example 1: In the below program, the function mul_div is returning two values and we are storing both the values in mul and div identifier. But in the whole program, we are using only one variable i.e. mul. So compiler will throw an error
div declared and not used
./prog.go:15:7: div declared and not used
Example 2: Let’s make the use of Blank identifier to correct the above program. In place of div identifier just use the _ (underscore). It allows the compiler to ignore
declared and not used error for that particular variable.
105 x 7 = 735
- You can use multiple Blank Identifier in the same program. So you can say a Golang program can have multiple variables using the same identifier name which is the blank identifier.
- There are many cases that arise the requirement of assignment of values just to complete the syntax even knowing that the values will not be going to be used in the program anywhere. Like a function returning multiple values. Mostly blank identifier is used in such cases.
- You can use any value of any type with the Blank Identifier.
- How to convert a slice of bytes in uppercase in Golang?
- Golang program that uses fallthrough keyword
- math.Lgamma() Function in Golang with Examples
- math.Float64bits() Function in Golang With Examples
- How to check equality of slices of bytes in Golang?
- atomic.AddInt64() Function in Golang With Examples
- atomic.StoreInt64() Function in Golang With Examples
- reflect.FieldByIndex() Function in Golang with Examples
- string.Contains Function in Golang with Examples
- bits.Sub() Function in Golang with Examples
- How to convert a slice of bytes in lowercase in Golang?
- io.PipeWriter.CloseWithError() Function in Golang with Examples
- Import in GoLang
- time.Round() Function in Golang With Examples
- How to add a method to struct type in Golang?
- Converting a string variable into Boolean, Integer or Float type in Golang
- Check if the given slice is sorted in Golang
- How to compare times in Golang?
- reflect.AppendSlice() Function in Golang with Examples
- reflect.ChanOf() Function in Golang with Examples
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.