Given a directed graph, find out if a vertex j is reachable from another vertex i for all vertex pairs (i, j) in the given graph. Here reachable mean that there is a path from vertex i to j. The reach-ability matrix is called transitive closure of a graph.
For example, consider below graph Transitive closure of above graphs is 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1
The graph is given in the form of adjacency matrix say ‘graph[V][V]’ where graph[i][j] is 1 if there is an edge from vertex i to vertex j or i is equal to j, otherwise graph[i][j] is 0.
Floyd Warshall Algorithm can be used, we can calculate the distance matrix dist[V][V] using Floyd Warshall, if dist[i][j] is infinite, then j is not reachable from i, otherwise j is reachable and value of dist[i][j] will be less than V.
Instead of directly using Floyd Warshall, we can optimize it in terms of space and time, for this particular problem. Following are the optimizations:
1) Instead of integer resultant matrix (dist[V][V] in floyd warshall), we can create a boolean reach-ability matrix reach[V][V] (we save space). The value reach[i][j] will be 1 if j is reachable from i, otherwise 0.
2) Instead of using arithmetic operations, we can use logical operations. For arithmetic operation ‘+’, logical and ‘&&’ is used, and for min, logical or ‘||’ is used. (We save time by a constant factor. Time complexity is same though)
Following matrix is transitive closure of the given graph 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1
Time Complexity: O(V3) where V is number of vertices in the given graph.
See below post for a O(V2) solution.
Transitive Closure of a Graph using DFS
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Breadth First Search or BFS for a Graph
- Find if there is a path between two vertices in a directed graph
- Depth First Search or DFS for a Graph
- Detect Cycle in a Directed Graph
- Disjoint Set (Or Union-Find) | Set 1 (Detect Cycle in an Undirected Graph)
- Graph and its representations
- Check whether a given graph is Bipartite or not
- Shortest Path in Directed Acyclic Graph
- Bridges in a graph
- Articulation Points (or Cut Vertices) in a Graph
- Biconnected graph
- Check if a graph is strongly connected | Set 1 (Kosaraju using DFS)
- Eulerian path and circuit for undirected graph
- Longest Path in a Directed Acyclic Graph
- Detect cycle in an undirected graph