Python has defined a module, “time” which allows us to handle various operations regarding time, its conversions and representations, which find its use in various applications in life. The beginning of time is started measuring from 1 January, 12:00 am, 1970 and this very time is termed as “epoch” in Python.
Operations on Time :
1. time() :- This function is used to count the number of seconds elapsed since the epoch.
2. gmtime(sec) :- This function returns a structure with 9 values each representing a time attribute in sequence. It converts seconds into time attributes(days, years, months etc.) till specified seconds from epoch. If no seconds are mentioned, time is calculated till present. The structure attribute table is given below.
Index Attributes Values 0 tm_year 2008 1 tm_mon 1 to 12 2 tm_mday 1 to 31 3 tm_hour 0 to 23 4 tm_min 0 to 59 5 tm_sec 0 to 61 (60 or 61 are leap-seconds) 6 tm_wday 0 to 6 7 tm_yday 1 to 366 8 tm_isdst -1, 0, 1 where -1 means Library determines DST
Seconds elapsed since the epoch are : 1470121951.9536893 Time calculated acc. to given seconds is : time.struct_time(tm_year=2016, tm_mon=8, tm_mday=2, tm_hour=7, tm_min=12, tm_sec=31, tm_wday=1, tm_yday=215, tm_isdst=0)
3. asctime(“time”) :- This function takes a time attributed string produced by gmtime() and returns a 24 character string denoting time.
4. ctime(sec) :- This function returns a 24 character time string but takes seconds as argument and computes time till mentioned seconds. If no argument is passed, time is calculated till present.
Time calculated using asctime() is : Tue Aug 2 07:47:02 2016 Time calculated using ctime() is : Tue Aug 2 07:47:02 2016
5. sleep(sec) :- This method is used to hault the program execution for the time specified in the arguments.
Start Execution : Tue Aug 2 07:59:03 2016 Stop Execution : Tue Aug 2 07:59:07 2016
This article is contributed by Manjeet Singh. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Time Functions in Python | Set-2 (Date Manipulations)
- Python | Pandas Timestamp.ctime
- Python | How to time the program
- time.sleep() in Python
- Python | Pandas DatetimeIndex.time
- Python | Pandas Series.dt.time
- time.strftime() function in Python
- time.process_time() function in Python
- Python | Pandas Timestamp.time
- time.perf_counter() function in Python
- Python | Distance-time GUI calculator using Tkinter
- Python | Program to generate one-time password (OTP)
- Python | Working with date and time using Pandas
- Python | Real time currency convertor using Tkinter
- Python | Real time weather detection using Tkinter